Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 11:03 pm    Post subject: Horse Stance. Reply with quote

::edit::

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks nice in kata with your thighs perpendicular to the floor, besides lowering your center of gravity, I always thought it was also a great way to increase the muscle endurance in my quads??

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Against a Typhoon " - Gichin Funakoshi

The sky above, was black and out of it there came a howling wind that laid wast to whatever stood in its path. Huge branhces were torn like twigs from great trees, and dust and pebbles flew through the air, stinging a man's face.
Okinawa is known as the island of typhoons, and the ferocity of it's tropical storms defies dscription. To withstand the onslaught of the winds that devastate the island regularly every year during the storm season, the houses of Okinawa stand low and are built as sturdily as possible;they are surrounded by high stone walls, and the slate tiles on the roogs and secured by mortart. Bt the winds are so tremendous (often attaining a velocity of 100 miles/hour) that despite all precautions the houses shiver and tremble.

During one partiuclar typhoon, that i Remember, all the people of Shuri huddled together within their homes, praying for the typhoon to pass without wreaking any great damage. No, I was wrong when I said all the people of Shuri huddled at home, there was one young man, up on the roof of his house in Yamakawa- Cho, was was determinedly battling the typhoon.

Anyone observing the solitary figure would surely have concluded that he had lost his wits. Wearing only a loincloth, he stoond on the slippery tiles of the roof and held in both hands, as thought to protect him from the howling wind, a tatami mat. He must have fallen off the roof to the ground time and again, for his nearly naked body was smeared all over with mud.

The young man seemed to be about 20yrs old or perhaps younger. He was of small stature, hardly, more than five feet tall, but his shoulder were huge and his biceps bulged. His hair was dressed like that of a sumo wrestler with a topknot and a small silver pin indicating that he belonged to the shizoku.

But all this is of little importance, what matters is the expression on his face; wide eyees glittering with a strange expression on his face: wide eyes glittering with a trange light, a wide brow, copper red sking. Clenching his teeth as the wind tore him, he gave off an aura of tremedous power...

Now the young man on the roof assumed a low posture, holding the stray wat aloft against the raging wind. THe stance he took was most impressive, for he stood as if astride a horse. Indeed, anyone who knew karate could readily have seen that the youth was taking the horse riding stance, the most stable of all karate stances and that he was making use of the howling typhoon to refine his technique and to further strengthen both body and mind. The wind struck the math and the youth with full force...but he stood his ground and did not flinch.

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2001-11-18 09:10 ]

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words - the horse stance is an extremely stable stance. It's probably just me ...but I dont understand what you mean about the nice thigh something?

I think blocking a kick is very effective, it's just a question of 'how' you block it. Initially i found the same problem, after alot of training and refinement of placement and technique of the block I eventually found the correct application of the technique, in which it doesnt really hurt me or require me to exert much force at all.

True that you have time to move out of the way, which i think is a perfectly good way to defend yourself...but sometimes when you have no where to move too, or often i found that when you defend the kick you open up oppurtunities to attack for yourself.

But thats just what i think.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggy that was a very interesting tale.

I think most of us wonder at the deep stances from time to time, usually in the middle of class when we have been in one for what seems to be forever.

Many things we do in karate that are seemingly a bit odd are referred to as "good training". Kicking requires leg strengt. Many things require balance. I am finding that the longer that I do this the more little light bulbs go off. Or that the explanations of others make more sense.

For me the deeper stances aided my every day ambulation. I need not ask any more why's than that.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add to jakmak52's response that the horse stance itself is very beneficial for strong knee development. Many therapists are frequently recommending side to side knee training exercises (horse stance posture) to people with bad knees.
Isn't there also a kata in shotokan that is done entirely in horsestance...tekki? I think it was supposedly symbolic of the fighting techniques that would be used by horsemen in combat.

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a kata in ITF TKD which we called Choi Goi (pronounced Cho Gee), which means Iron Horse that is done mostly in the horse stance facing only one direction supposedly protecting a wall..

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When being attacked from behind, going into horse stance is also a great way to break the attackers' hold on you - simply drop into horse stance, take either leg and wrap it behind the attacker's and flip them over your leg...don't know if that explains it clearly enough, but y'all get the general idea!

Lori

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common sense that to withstand a hard tackle one must lower one's center of gravity. With the knees bented, it's like a tree rooted to the ground. Jiggy great story...but to looonnnggggg...longggggg.lol. Bon, never confused kata with actual fighting. I don't think nobody would stand in a horse stance in an actual fight. Even if a person was a complete dork and have no martial arts skill, no one would open themselves in such a vunerable position.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: