Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: How big is the AMA? Reply with quote

Just a quickie off the back of a previous post.
As far as UK karate associations go, how big is the AMA and how does it compare in the bigger picture with other karate associations?
A quick look at its website doesn't seem to offer much, not even a working search function for member clubs.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the AMA initials stand for??

Do they have a website??

The Governing Body that I've been with for 53 years, the SKKA, and that I've been the Kiacho of for 10 years, doesn't have the minimum of desire to compare with any other Governing Bodies found all over the world. Why?? Our direct concerns are towards one thing...the betterment of our Student Body.

How other Governing Bodies cross their 't's' and/or dot their 'i's' is of no concern of ours. We don't judge the how and the why of other Governing Bodies, just ours, and ours alone.

This was our Soke's desire, to be separate across the board from every other Governing Bodies of the MA, and I carry on his desires.

To be fair...

The initials of SKKA stand for Shindokan Karate-do and Kobudo Association.

We do NOT have a website, though we've tried, and failed to create one for many years; for various reasons, we've tabled that project for an undetermined time frame, and I doubt that'll ever come to fruition.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stands for Amateur Martial Arts Association.

Last edited by LastKing on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at their website and seeing that they are a multi-style organisation I would assume it is made up of a number of different clubs run independently, and the association just provides insurance cover along with odd events throughout the year. Similar to the organisation that I am with.

Therefore it would likely be up to the individual club instructors whether they accept your rank, which could be down to a number of factors, how different the style is to the one you are trained in, what their policies are on students transferring from other clubs.

Many may let you wear your belt during a probationary period for a certain amount of time and then award you what grade you would be best suited...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastKing wrote:
It stands for Amateur Martial Arts Association.

I only ask as our sensai has always given the members the impression that our ranks are transferrable to any karate club because we are members of the AMA, as if the AMA is the UK karate governing body.
Unfortunately our club is due to fold as our sensai is relocating, and many of the members, and more specifically the parents of the kids who are members, are probably going to be looking for new clubs, expecting to take their belts with them.
After only a brief look at the AMA's website, which doesn't seem to even have a functioning club search function, I'm beginning to doubt the voracity of the claim.

Personally, I don't really care, other than feeling let down by what seems to be at best a bending of the truth. But I suspect the other club members, the parents especially, will be somewhat angry when they find out that their kids will probably be starting from scratch.

To the bold type above...

Possible that the AMA in the UK might allow a transfer, with same current rank, providing that the dojo you're wanting to transfer to is already affiliated with the AMA in good standing.

That would more than likely be left up to the Governing Body to decide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: