Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

amolao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: How different isTSD from TKD? Reply with quote

Also would you guys go to a Korean instructor or an American? I have options but from I noticed the Korean charges more for class than the American dojo, were the American dojo trains 6 days a week and the Korean dojo does not. any input would be appreciated.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: How different isTSD from TKD? Reply with quote

amolao wrote:
Also would you guys go to a Korean instructor or an American? I have options but from I noticed the Korean charges more for class than the American dojo, were the American dojo trains 6 days a week and the Korean dojo does not. any input would be appreciated.

A very broad answer to the question "how different are the two?" is TSD is more like Shotokan Karate (deeper stances, more hand techniques) and TKD emphasizes kicking more. If it's ITF (Chang Hon style) TKD, there will be a bit less emphasis on kicking than Kukkiwon (WTF style) TKD would be. I'm speaking in broad terms, but this is usually the case. Whether the instructor is Korean or American does not matter as to the quality of instruction. Naturally, you want to choose a good instructor; ethnicity does not matter.

My best in your search.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: How different isTSD from TKD? Reply with quote

amolao wrote:
Also would you guys go to a Korean instructor or an American?

To be honest, the better question would be which association and instructor would I go it. There are very good asian instructor and there are bad ones, just like any other race/ethnicity. Try out both and make an informed decision.

amolao wrote:
I have options but from I noticed the Korean charges more for class than the American dojo, were the American dojo trains 6 days a week and the Korean dojo does not. any input would be appreciated.

Like the answers already given, check them both out. What you don't want to do it start training at a "McDojang" where you basically throw your money at something that isn't worth it (and that in turn will give a bad rep for the art).

As for what is the differences between TKD and TSD, it depends on the association and implementation. One mate of mine, said it was totally different (forms, sparring, etc), While another mate who trained elsewhere with another TKD association said that it was very similar apart from the forms.

I currently do TSD and I have to agree, it is very similar to Shotokan karate - but different enough to keep me interested

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How different isTSD from TKD? Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
amolao wrote:

A very broad answer to the question "how different are the two?" is TSD is more like Shotokan Karate (deeper stances, more hand techniques) and TKD emphasizes kicking more. If it's ITF (Chang Hon style) TKD, there will be a bit less emphasis on kicking than Kukkiwon (WTF style) TKD would be. I'm speaking in broad terms, but this is usually the case. Whether the instructor is Korean or American does not matter as to the quality of instruction. Naturally, you want to choose a good instructor; ethnicity does not matter.

My best in your search.

This pretty well sums it up. Good post, Iceman! Personally, I would look into the school that has 6 days a week open as on option, because you will likely be able to work it into your schedule more flexibly, all other things being equal (school quality, course offerings, etc). Let us know what you decide, and keep us posted.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took itf tae Kwon do when I was 17 and did it a few years on and off. I also did tae Kwon do "wtf" more recently and I currently do "basically" a tang soo do/shotokan mixture. Almost no difference other then stances so I essentially learn both.

As to the question, it's the same but different. Ways to throw blocks, punches, are different in many ways. Kicks are very similar as they are Korean based, and Koreans are noted for using hips we'll to generate power in kicks. Actually only kick that's different that I can think of is front snap kick. Tang soo do is more of a push while leaning back and thrusting hips forward, tkd is more common kick which essentially is just thrown in an upward motion with little hip involvement.

Forms are forms and they all feel like forms, but again different techniques, directions, and pace. The thing I enjoy about tang soo do forms (actually hated forms until learning tang soo do) is they have a jumbled rhythm. They don't have a set rhythm like tkd, they have slow parts, and very often explosive parts, which to me symbolizes yin/yang or (balance) in the forms movements. I enjoy tang soo do much more then tkd!

Same BUT different.

KyungYet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: 100% powered by Tang Soo Do for nearly 30 years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Korean government wanted a unified national style that could be taught to the military, the important masters of the time worked together to create Tae Kwon Do. One of the influential contributing styles to this amalgam was Tang Soo Do. Thus, TSD is one of TKD's progenitor's, and both styles share many characteristics.

TKD focuses much more on quick, repeated kicks, with a nearly 90:10 ratio of kicks:punches in training. It is the national sport of Korea (and an Olympic sport) and thus is really more of a "sport" than a traditional combative art - at least in terms of it's sparring structure.

TSD is more balanced between kicks:punches, and while it indeed practices point sparring, it is not a sport per se. It is a traditional art, and spends a good deal of time on hyungs, one-steps, and self-defense. In its traditional form, it is weak on grappling and soft self-defense techniques. The "American" forms of TSD associated with Chuck Norris have added in new techniques, lost the Chil Sung forms, added in its own set of forms, and added in a grappling component.

Re: whether or not you need an Asian instructor is really better asked as "do you want the most traditional version of TKD/TSD or can you tolerate some poor pronunciation and additions/subtractions to the style?" That is, some instructors follow the traditional path, and some of those will be Asian. Some instructors are more loosey-goosey, and some of those will be American. But there is no reason to assume this will always be the case.

I personally recommend choosing your school based almost solely upon the quality of instructor/instruction (even ignoring the style being taught). All martial arts can be powerful, depending on whether or not it's taught well.

I hope this (excess!) of information has been helpful!

KY

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KyungYet wrote:
When the Korean government wanted a unified national style that could be taught to the military, the important masters of the time worked together to create Tae Kwon Do. One of the influential contributing styles to this amalgam was Tang Soo Do. Thus, TSD is one of TKD's progenitor's, and both styles share many characteristics.

TKD focuses much more on quick, repeated kicks, with a nearly 90:10 ratio of kicks:punches in training. It is the national sport of Korea (and an Olympic sport) and thus is really more of a "sport" than a traditional combative art - at least in terms of it's sparring structure.

TSD is more balanced between kicks:punches, and while it indeed practices point sparring, it is not a sport per se. It is a traditional art, and spends a good deal of time on hyungs, one-steps, and self-defense. In its traditional form, it is weak on grappling and soft self-defense techniques. The "American" forms of TSD associated with Chuck Norris have added in new techniques, lost the Chil Sung forms, added in its own set of forms, and added in a grappling component.

Re: whether or not you need an Asian instructor is really better asked as "do you want the most traditional version of TKD/TSD or can you tolerate some poor pronunciation and additions/subtractions to the style?" That is, some instructors follow the traditional path, and some of those will be Asian. Some instructors are more loosey-goosey, and some of those will be American. But there is no reason to assume this will always be the case.

I personally recommend choosing your school based almost solely upon the quality of instructor/instruction (even ignoring the style being taught). All martial arts can be powerful, depending on whether or not it's taught well.

I hope this (excess!) of information has been helpful!

KY

VERY we'll written, and extremely accurately described.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KyungYet wrote:

I think that Shotokan is more of a progenitor than TSD, which itself is kind of an offshoot from Shotokan as much as TKD is.

Quote:

I think you are generalizing a bit here, referring to Kukki or WTF TKD, which is heavily sport based, at least in sparring. But almost all sparring is, to some extent, sport based. Its what makes it safer to do, whether it be the point sparring of the ATA, or MMA competition.

However, many schools, ITF, WTF, ATA, or others like mine, aren't necessarily geared towards sport, and many have a solid self-defense component. It just depends on the school you find.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, ethnicity has nothing to do with anything. Mas Oyama was Korean, and he became one of the greatest Karateka ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: