Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...biffing myself on the back of my head with my chucks when I try to trap/swing under my armpit. Even with foam chucks it's starting to HURT!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. Maybe you need head gear lol.

I can only do a few moves with chucks but I respect anyone who has the guts to keep trying and getting hurt while learning.

Keep at it.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be gripping the chuks too low, or your cord/chain may be too long. When you trap the chuk under your arm, no "biffing" should occur, obviously.
When you catch the chuks, you should be trapping the chuk that you aren't holding. If you catch cord instead of foam chuk, you're gripping too low. When doing katas, etc. it's best to grip the chuk as high as possible for better control. Low grips are for combat.
You may also be trying to swing the chuk too close to your body. Hold the chuk where it should be. Feel that. Remember where your hand is. It might help, it might not!
Also, when catching on TOP, make sure your free hand is across your stomach and underneath your arm, ready to stop the incoming chuk...otherwise you might lose an eye

If we were in person it'd be so much easier, but this'll have to do....
Try talking to your instructor or someone else who has experience with the weapon.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i know what your talking about. Its like a diagonal swing under your armpit and a catch behind your head. Correct if im wrong.

Heres some tips.
1. practice the motion in slow motion till your body can remember the exact motion with out you thinking about it. then slowly speed it up.

2. Hold the nunchaku near the bottom(Kikon-bu).

3. When the swing is coming back place your hand slightly behind your head.

This is one of the harder moves to do especially when you got slightly short arms. I have trouble with this move. dont get discourage. but if your getting any brain damage its time to lay the chucks down or practise other moves. Key word do the moves slow then slowly speed up. Remeber if you cant do the moves slow there is no way your going to do them fast with good form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah one thing i forgot to post dont forget the other hand its your protecting hand. It protects you from getting hit from the chuck and makes your form look better to if it aint just sitting there not doing anything. Yeah Pretty soon im going to get a video page going of nunchaku moves on my page. Hopefully that will help people out with the nunchaku ?'s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - thanks for the tips! I am losing brain cells at a fast rate of knots here!

It usually happens (so far) when I have been trying drills like just swinging the chucks from a casual resting position draped over my shoulder (eg L hand holding over L shoulder) and then swinging under the L armpit and back to the beginning, then I started putting in a few extra swingy loops in between these two start and end positions and that's when the trouble started! God help me when I try to play with REAL chucks! LOL

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me happy that they're not in the official KSW curriculum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame muggers don't carry them more though, would make life a lot easier.

"Gimme your money!"

"No."

"Right." swing, whack, knockout, you walk off unharmed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what cops use to do when thugs in us started carrying homemade nunchakus before they made them mostly illegal to carry around in us except in some states like mine HA HA HA. Well they use to lay back because most people that used them before were not trained properly and they would end up hurting themselves then the cops would strike.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea that saves swatting your own head is to look at where your arm is positioned in the final and the beginning state. Now at no point in the swing should the elbow be bent any more than that. When the elbow is bent more the nunchaku is going to be closer in to your body. Make any sense?

The other thing is are you moving your elbow in closer to your body? When you bring the elbow in on that particular move you are bringing the nunchaku closer to your head.

And it never hurts to practice privately in your helmet. I have.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: