Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cross trained different ways thru the years depending on my goals and my situation. For me, right now, cross training pretty much takes place by way of private instruction and seminar. I just don't have the time to commit to other things outside of the time I spend doing and teaching BJJ.

So, about every other week I get together with one of two instructors in FMA specilities and either do a private with one of them or trade instruction for instruction, their specility for mine.

It's a solid set up and one that keeps me married.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJJ_Carpenter wrote:
I like to cross train aikido, and bjj. The throws from aikido compliment my ground game really well, and I have found quite a few ways to make the takedowns work for me.

Welcome aboard, Carpenter! I found that when I did Aikido, I found spots that would allow me to insert kicks quite nicely to help "facilitate" the takedowns. I've found the same in Hapkido, but my Hapkido style is very much open to striking for distraction. I find that the BJJ that we do will help level me out so that I at least don't get freaked out when being on the ground. Some of the Hapkido/Aikido takedowns work nicely with controlling an arm when they land, leaving a nice opportunity to set an armbar.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday I train karate
tuesday I train kickboxing followed by strength training
wednesday I train brazilian jujitsu, usually followed by boxing
thursday I train karate
friday I train brazilian jujitsu followed by MMA
saturday I rest
Sunday I train either karate or brazilian jujitsu

I usually don't have time to go every day, so I have plenty of unplanned rest days. The advantage of this schedule is that if I'm too busy one day of the week, I still have plenty of other days I can train.

Shotokannon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, Traditional Jujutsu

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Schedule;

MON: Kickboxing basics 7-8pm
TUE: Kickboxing Sparring 8-9pm
WED: Shotokan basics and kata 6-7.30
THU: Mixed Martial arts bag work 7pm-8pm
THU:(continued) Mixed Martial arts basics and sparring 8pm-9pm
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: Shotokan Basics and Kata 1pm-2:30pm
Saturday(continued) Shotokan Sparring 2:45-4:00pm
Sunday:Rest Day

Like someone else posted, I don't always go to every one of these sessions because I don't always have time so I tend to mix and match and have rest days as appropriate.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days-on top of my daily TKD schedule- I run 5 days a week, train BJJ 3 days a week, and kickbox 2 days a week....getting my second wind!!!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actively cross training is not an idea I agree with, personally. There can be some value in it for some people and in certain contexts, but I prefer to spend my training and practise time focused on Shorin ryu karate. There is quite enough to learn and discover without getting confused by the intricacies of another system.

At one point I have dabbled in hard style aikido, taekwondo and Italian as well as French rapier fencing. All of these were experimenting phases and were short lived. Now I devote all my time to Shorin ryu but my interest in other systems is still high. Even without training in other systems, for comparative research and exchange I enjoy sharing with other methods.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Actively cross training is not an idea I agree with, personally. There can be some value in it for some people and in certain contexts, but I prefer to spend my training and practise time focused on Shorin ryu karate. There is quite enough to learn and discover without getting confused by the intricacies of another system.

At one point I have dabbled in hard style aikido, taekwondo and Italian as well as French rapier fencing. All of these were experimenting phases and were short lived. Now I devote all my time to Shorin ryu but my interest in other systems is still high. Even without training in other systems, for comparative research and exchange I enjoy sharing with other methods.
I can understand your viewpoint here. I think for many practitioners, it really depends on where they are in their journey as to how they approach cross-training.

Early on, you see students who are so excited about MA training that they want to get into everything they possibly can. This desire is admirable, but it has to be approached with some goals and perhaps some decent programming involved so the student just doesn't get overwhelmed an confused.

Middle-career MAists may find solace in training two styles for a time being, perhaps a stand-up and a ground style to balance things out.

Late career guys and gals tend to be the ones who focus on one in particular, dedicate their time to it, and will have some good friends that they cross-train with, or spend just a little bit of time supplementing their knowledge with a second style.

This isn't always the case, but the trend does seem to pop up this way.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is also an issue. Progress and training in one system takes time. Considering the time it takes to learn one martial art thoroughly, pursing more than one at a time means less time and less training for each one. It is better to learn a few things in depth than a hundred superficially. Ten years of hard work and dedicated training in one system makes more sense than two years in five different styles.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Time is also an issue. Progress and training in one system takes time. Considering the time it takes to learn one martial art thoroughly, pursing more than one at a time means less time and less training for each one. It is better to learn a few things in depth than a hundred superficially. Ten years of hard work and dedicated training in one system makes more sense than two years in five different styles.
I think it really depends on the time one has to put in. If I only have 2 classes available per week for TKD, and have the other days available, then it wouldn't be taking away from TKD class to take up another, like BJJ, to shore up ground fighting skills. This kind of cross-training would be quite beneficial. Taking up a Shotokan class, on the other hand, although enjoyable and certainly valuable, would probably not yield as high of returns.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do nearly as much as you guys!

I try to do kata at least 3 days a week, right now I am in physical therapy for my hip injury which is 3hrs a day 2 days a week, I try to do kata practice on the non therapy days. I also like to cycle, it's the only other activity that I enjoy, I hate running and all that so I bike instead, bmx, mountain, road.. Whatever I can do at the time.

Currently I don't study a second style but I have definitely thought about it.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: