Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate (Various Styles), Kuk Sool Won, American Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: How do YOU cross train? Reply with quote

So, here is my current cross training schedule:

MON- TKD Sparring 6:30-6:55
Goju Ryu 7:00-8:30
TUE- Shorin Ryu 5:30-7:00
WED- Goju Ryu 7:00-8:00
THU- Taekwondo 6:15-7:00
FRI- Kuk Sool Forms (various times)
SAT- Shorin Ryu 4:30-6:30
SUN- Kuk Sool Forms (various times)

Other than keeping my Kuk Sool Won forms sharp on Fridays and Sundays, I have a lot of physically demanding classes. I only recently started TKD, and I will probably drop it by the end of the year. I am really only taking it so I can get into fantastic shape for the season opener S.W.A.T. karate tournament on January 19th. I plan on taking home a nice big trophy.

I also like to pound my heavy bag and reflex bag when I feel like I need a boost. Hopefully this will be enough, but if I don't win, that means I have to try that much harder next time.

How do you guys cross train?

"It's not about who's right, but who's left" -Ed Parker

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of styles going on at once, I'd get confused with all the mechanics and forms! which one are competing in? Btw do you not have a rest day?

I don't have a set schedule because it depends on work and things but during the week I'll make sure I do 2x 5km runs, at least one 30 min session of bag work/skipping routines, 1 short session each of upper body, core and leg bodyweight training and then depending what I'm training for, I'll do some sort of technical work for 30 mins. This is to go with the 5-8 hours of class time I do too. Saturday days are my rest day where I do absolutely nothing

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a busy schedule, AOF. Be careful as you're not allowing yourself any real rest and you may have problems learning so many arts simultaneously. Wish I was young again...

My current training is 5 days a week with 2 recovery days. During those 5 days I attend two Judo classes and one Kyokushin Karate class which is usually our heavy sparring day. At home I also fit in 3 kickboxing-style workouts (shadow boxing, bag work, skipping, combinations, double end bag, etc.) and 2 sessions of traditional basics and kata. For S&C purposes I train with kettlebells 2x a week, 400m sprints twice a week, and abs 3x a week. I either get up early on my off days or fit them in once the kids are in bed.

Monday - Kickboxing workout, kettlebell training, Judo class.
Tuesday - Basics/kata, sprints, abs, Judo/Kyokushin class.
Wednesday - Recovery day.
Thursday - Basics/kata, abs, Kyokushin/Judo class.
Friday - Kickboxing workout, kettlebell training.
Saturday - Kickboxing workout, sprints, abs.
Sunday - Recovery.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
That's quite a busy schedule, AOF. Be careful as you're not allowing yourself any real rest and you may have problems learning so many arts simultaneously. Wish I was young again...

My current training is 5 days a week with 2 recovery days. During those 5 days I attend two Judo classes and one Kyokushin Karate class which is usually our heavy sparring day. At home I also fit in 3 kickboxing-style workouts (shadow boxing, bag work, skipping, combinations, double end bag, etc.) and 2 sessions of traditional basics and kata. For S&C purposes I train with kettlebells 2x a week, 400m sprints twice a week, and abs 3x a week. I either get up early on my off days or fit them in once the kids are in bed.

Monday - Kickboxing workout, kettlebell training, Judo class.
Tuesday - Basics/kata, sprints, abs, Judo/Kyokushin class.
Wednesday - Recovery day.
Thursday - Basics/kata, abs, Kyokushin/Judo class.
Friday - Kickboxing workout, kettlebell training.
Saturday - Kickboxing workout, sprints, abs.
Sunday - Recovery.

I consider the Kuk Sool rest because I just go through the forms to make sure I don't forget them. So it is really just 5 days or training. That means I am remembering 3 arts at the moment due to Kuk Sool being muscle memory at this point. I traded boxing for karate and kenpo karate for TKD. I only just started TKD, and like I said, it is mostly for a little extra boost before a new season of tournaments.

If my classes are ever out for the day, I do heavy bag, tire flip, and knuckle push up intervals. I hate when the dojo isn't available.

Oh, and I am entering with my Goju school.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My training is sporadic at best right now. I've been doing treadmill/rowing machine cardio for about 16 minutes, then I stretch and work forms from my TTA and ATA styles, then get in another stretch. I've been getting this done about 3 days per week right now.

Ideally, I'll be getting back into Combat Hapkido and Defensive Tactics soon, and will be back to teaching TKD classes in December.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My training consists of bjj on Tuesday morning Kenpo on the same evening and Kenpo on Thursday evenings. I'm now were as busy as you but the mind doesn't stop on certain aspects of my training.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittbullJudoka wrote:
My training consists of bjj on Tuesday morning Kenpo on the same evening and Kenpo on Thursday evenings. I'm now were as busy as you but the mind doesn't stop on certain aspects of my training.

I know what you mean. I have altered the way I walk, sleep, and even go to the bathroom. I have worked martial arts in to my life so much that it is a part of everything I do. Every breath and step is training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of late, my training is like having a quite conversation.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are Lucky!!!!

I have my classes then training is personal which fits around 2 year old son, 17 year old daughter Wife who works predominantly nights etc.

I used to train 6 days a week

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train in Karate twice a week, then in Wing Chun twice a month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: