Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Soak
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: How do you deal with neverending stress? Reply with quote

In a word, I'm in second year software engineering and I'm extremely stressed out. I have no time for anything whatsoever... I've even given up my jiu jitsu training habits to try to find more time for the schoolwork. I perhaps inadvisably cut meditation out of my week too to cram in more study hours as well. It's burnt me out totally.

Starting on the christmas break I'll have in a few weeks, I'll be resuming jiu jitsu training, but I have to ask you guys: have any of you got any tricks or techniques or philosophies that will help me to get through my program? It's drained me, and martial arts philosophy seems honestly to be the most fruitful place to look. I dislike my program and school (but not the subject matter), and I know that's one of my major hurdles.

I feel like Bruce Lee, in my shoes, with the same brain power, would be thriving, because of his outlook and mental calm. I need to know how to get that.

Anyone with any words?

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the trust that the Universe provides us with what we really need, always, is all we need to know. However we label our philosophy, man has found a remarkably similar way of thinking for thousands of years. We receive just what our thoughts send out. Hone your body, Stimulate your mind and Calm your spirit. So Pushups, Chess and Zen seems to be the recipe for success.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First step: get control of your schedule. Chunk everything into manageable pieces and lay them out.
Build in time for yourself. If I don't exercize, my performance goes down; in a week where I get several hours of cardio, I get more done than I do in a week where i don't. I have some basis for this in a study of performance of kids who walk to school, if you care.
Work smarter, not harder. Learn to be comfortable with "good enough" and to double up your productivity. Learn to use productivity tools like Zotero and the like. Learn about mnemonics that you can use to memorize key material.
Work in 50 minute increments. Then stretch and move around for 10.
Get lots of sleep. You think you need the extra time. You need the performance instead.
Search for Anti-Role-Models. We know, you want to look up to your hero. This is a good thing. Take lessons from the best. BUT. That idiot down the hall? The one who got lost in his own apartment and made a comment that he hadn't actually read any of his textbooks because the words were too big? And he graduated! Take a few lessons from that guy. If they can pull it off, so can you.

JohnnyB
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan 2nd Kyu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget a good nutrition plan with plenty of anti-oxidants to fight stress.
Green Tea for example can help u maintain a mental endurance required for your studies.
Do not neglect your body as you have already and try to find some time to exercise.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as an often time stressed Husband, Student and expecting Father, I can really relate to this. A beloved teacher once told me that we go to school because that's what makes life after 5 o' clock worth it. At face value this seems like he meant that the jobs our education will get us will give us enough money to go out. What this really meant, I think, is that we'll have the education to actually enjoy what it is that we do on a deeper level. In this sense, you can use the education that you currently have to do this.

I would also recommend taking less hours and sitting down a physically writing out a daily schedule for yourself. It's super tedious but it will help you maximize time and once you get use to it the routine become automatic. De-stressing isn't an easy task, but for me it's the little things that help.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are giving good advise, so I can't really add much. I just make sure to take time to breathe. When it feels like things are stacking up, I just take a step back, relax, and know that I will be ok and get through things alright. And then, I always think that things could be worse. We are often more fortunate than we take the time to realize.

Soak
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pushups, Chess and Zen seems to be the recipe for success.

I'm taking my schoolwork to by my chess these days, but you're right about the pushups (I have a bad shoulder, I opt for exercise bike to give it a break).

Quote:
Don't forget a good nutrition plan with plenty of anti-oxidants to fight stress.

I had no idea that antioxidants affect stress levels. I thought they were related to aging.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm Post subject:
First step: get control of your schedule. Chunk everything into manageable pieces and lay them out.
Build in time for yourself. If I don't exercize, my performance goes down; in a week where I get several hours of cardio, I get more done than I do in a week where i don't. I have some basis for this in a study of performance of kids who walk to school, if you care.
Work smarter, not harder. Learn to be comfortable with "good enough" and to double up your productivity. Learn to use productivity tools like Zotero and the like. Learn about mnemonics that you can use to memorize key material.
Work in 50 minute increments. Then stretch and move around for 10.
Get lots of sleep. You think you need the extra time. You need the performance instead.
Search for Anti-Role-Models. We know, you want to look up to your hero. This is a good thing. Take lessons from the best. BUT. That idiot down the hall? The one who got lost in his own apartment and made a comment that he hadn't actually read any of his textbooks because the words were too big? And he graduated! Take a few lessons from that guy. If they can pull it off, so can you.

This is good advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: