Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: How do you grade your students? Reply with quote

With some schools, the head master tells you when you're ready for your belt...With my school, we have 5 stripes per belt. Each stripe represents either a form stripe, kicking stripe,joint-lock stripe, sparring stripe, etc. We do in class stripe tests at the end of class which only takes 10 minutes...Once they have reached 5 stripes on their belt, they are eligible for a belt promotion test...I think it's a good system..That's how my school does it..

Anyway, hOw does your school grade students?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children are given a red stripe if they have performed their form with no errors. They are given a white stripe for every 10 lessons. When they have the required amount of stripes including that red stripe.... then they are eligible to test for their next belt. We have student ID cards that we scan every time we take class that counts down the number of classes. It notifies student that they are ready for a white stripe. When count goes to zero you are put on a pretest list where you will be given an "in class" pretest by the instructor. He fills in a sheet showing your strong and weak points and areas that you need to work on. If you pass you are put on the list to test. There is a test every last Sat. of the month.
The master of the school grades those going for black and dan levels and available black belts of the school grade the other students. We are given a sheet for each student and we grade their Forms / Sparring / Floor Techniques / and Breaks. We fill in our own critique area trying to offer both the positives and the areas that requires more work in the future.
It is rare that a student fails (mainly because of the pretest) unless he fails to perform his breaks wherein he comes back the following month.
I'm the one that usually draws the smiley faces on students grading papers!

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We basically train at the rank......when we think they are ready they take their next belt test. Simple to the point. Lower ranks are mostly tested on effort and if they get things correct. Higher ranks get tested on things such a good stances and doing everything correct and using the right emotions. Also most test with higher ranks are done with a panel so more people can spot mistakes in order to make them better when they test for their black belts. White and the stripes for it (in my system white belt gets two stripes for ranks.) anyone can test them of purple belt and above. (although they are usually looked at beforehand , maybe the week before by a higher rank. Brown or Black.) Green, Purple can be looked at and tested by brown also. Brown and above only by at least one blackbelt and the panel of whoever else of higher ranks. Do you get that all. Its easier to do than to explain.

KarateMom
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kempo Karate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the DoJo I study at we must have a certain number of classes and for Gold belt through I believe second green you have to attain three stripes before we can test for the next belt. I'm not sure how many stripes a required after second green.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have a time limit you must meet. Howver that does not mean you test. I will tell them when they have met their time requiremnts. Then if they are ready cool. If not Ill tell them what they need to work on and set up a personal time line for them.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effort, knowing the technique, not quiting if they do something wrong. Technique of course must improve with rank.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school I attend has a ciriculum, like a college course (or I suppose a non0college course), of information. Learn the information; show the ability to perform and teach it; pass the test and get the next phase of information.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in ju-jitsu we get a sheet with everything we need to know on it, two lessons of revision then we test.

DeeperMeaning
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Old style lol Reply with quote

Even though I teach a "mixed-style", I use the Goju-Ryu grading system, just like I was ranked. This has no stripes or mixed-color belts, simply white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, black.

DeeperMeaning
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I do a test every 3 months, warning the class earlier and explaining again all kata and techniques.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: