Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you take the weaknesses that you have and turn them into strengths? How to you go about the process of remolding yourself into a stronger person?

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to work on the weakness. For phsyical weaknesses, you just have to keep working. Emotional Weakness, again you have to work on not being scared, doing drills. When you fight, try to be agressive. All it takes is hard work. It won't be quick and easy, but it can be done.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am weak with my left hand and always have been, I bought a pair of focus mitts to help my training at home, I am currently working on my left hand techniques than my right hand ones, my left leg is also weak, so I am working on my left leg techniques to try and improve power and speed, and most of all technique.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You attack that weakness with unrelenting forwards momentum, always throwing your inner opponent off balance and strengthening yourself until that weakness is no more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good question, I can see how constantly working on it makes it no longer a weakness, but how does it make it into a strength....I'll have to sleep over this one.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack I like your phrasing of the inner opponent.

I think much of the time our greatest enemy comes from within.

hanksohn
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all those replies were about over coming a weakness not making it a strength.

I have bad hips as a result of competing in cross country and track for years as a teen. I tried for year to develop high side kicks and roundhouses and they always sucked. With a lot of practice I have gotten struggled to mediocre roundhouse kicks and decent cide kicks. But it still hurts and they are pretty weak if I try them cold. Best piece of advice I ever got on the subject(after tons of people gave me stretching tips, supplements, kicking drills) was this: "You should develop really good front kicks." And so I have. Yes, I still work the other kicks but mostly I work on having the best damn front kicks possible.

Bill Wallace tore a number of tendond in his right knee. When it was reconstructed he left jujitsu and went to kickboxing. For every 50 kicks that someone else did with each leg, he was doing 100 with his left. And his left leg became a legend. Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-17 07:48, SaiFightsMS wrote:
Jack I like your phrasing of the inner opponent.

I think much of the time our greatest enemy comes from within.

Thanks for the kind word Sai (sorry, do you mind if I call you that?) but the phrasing itself comes from Sun Tzu's works "The art of war" I was merely trying to pass on some of his knowledge, and in doing so its hard to not use his terminology

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weakness comes from the things we fear..direct confrintation of those fears makes us stronger..instead of avoidance...both physically and especially emotionally

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another key thing for turning a weakness into a strength is visualisation. Visualise yourself doing that spinning kick, doing that break, performing that Kata, then go for it!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: