Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

UselessDave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: How does the martial art training show? Reply with quote

What do you think is the most useful thing one gets from martial arts that actually helps most in a real situation?

Is it the good physical shape?
The techniques?
Knowing what to do, after all those books we've read and movies we've seen?
Is it the attitude we have, to perhaps get out of the situation before is comes one? Or the attitude to do whatever needed to make one's escape?

And as we all know one propably gets something out of everything etc. Let's focus on the most vital parts.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the mental preperation. A lot of useful techniques can be performed without martial arts. Hitting someone really hard isn't strange to most people. Hitting someone, or using any other technique becomes a different story when you're under duress. It also becomes a different story when someone punches you in the mouth. I think the time between mental understanding of a situation and the physical response is something that can only be improved through practice. Furthermore, defending one's self while under stress, while bleeding, or while your body is flooding you with chemicals is even harder to get good at. Martial arts seem to be the only thing that the average person can partake in to give themselves an advantage in that area.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully,

You could be one of the best fighters in your Gym/Dojo/Dojang and may have won some WKA, WTF, WKF etc trophies in Kumite(Sparring) but it doesn't give you "Street Knowledge" just have a read of "Streetwise"!

I know of a 1st Kyu who was a good fighter a few years back but got attacked by 3 guys and he didn't see it happening until it was too late.
Moral, is being switched on all the time. or being able to be aware of your surrounding at all times.

I think as Instructors we need to think, can this student defend themselves properly or do they need some guidance on how to "ACT" on the street without "asking" for trouble.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest advantages are the mental preparedness and repetitive practice of proper techniques. People really overestimate the competition out there. An average untrained fighter is totally one dimensional. They're wading in, leaning forward, cocking their fists back, rolling their shoulders forward or throwing hooks at your head. They don't have the balance to do anything else, it takes practice. If a regular guy is ready to fight you, chances are he's 1. scared to death, 2. mad as heck, 3. Impaired. Or any combination of the three. If a trained martial artist can remain calm enough, most fights are easily won with one or two techniques. The hard part is staying calm and being confident in your training. The truth is: Martial artists make short work of untrained street punks with frequency. This is universal. Don't pay attention to martial artists who can't overcome their fear and insecurities and try to give you doubt about your abilities or training.

jassling
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: