Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our Dan Kumite drills has a response to a right roundhouse punch. The defender does a two-hand block/strike to the attacker's bicep and shoulder, then drops to a shiko-dachi (low stance), pressing one hand into the juncture where the inner thigh meets the groin, using the left hand to scoop the attacker's right leg. Attacker goes down, defender stands up holding the ankle, then does a sokuto-geri to the attacker's groin.

You can see it at about 1:16 here (in slow-motion) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOuJhJDkTA Another video with my sensei is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-houzj7vQ
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very interesting interactions, aurik. Thanks for sharing them. In the first video, the two practitioners appeared much "tighter" than in the second one; that is, the circling techniques appeared much tighter to me. But in the second one, they moved pretty quickly.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
One of our Dan Kumite drills has a response to a right roundhouse punch. The defender does a two-hand block/strike to the attacker's bicep and shoulder, then drops to a shiko-dachi (low stance), pressing one hand into the juncture where the inner thigh meets the groin, using the left hand to scoop the attacker's right leg. Attacker goes down, defender stands up holding the ankle, then does a sokuto-geri to the attacker's groin.

You can see it at about 1:16 here (in slow-motion) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOuJhJDkTA Another video with my sensei is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-houzj7vQ

Looks similar to golcho makgi or hooking block from TKD, especially in the first video.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very much so.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to the topic question ;

In different ways , it depends on what is 'offered ' to you . But I have distilled the responses to common principles ;

1. Evade and 'sting' .

2. Take control, lock up / throw / take down, etc

3. Finish .

Eg a response to r. oi tsuki

1. Move off line to your l . check or divert with l. shuto while striking their r elbow with your r. back fist on their SJ14 ('sting' ) .

2. L . punch into their r kidney , step in so your right leg so your l knee is against their r. knee , applying pressure to destabilize. While strikinge up and around with a right reverse shuto ( the ridge of hand on the thumb side ) at jaw joint TV 16 .

3. Slide step / 'surge' through extending your right hand / arm and curving it down in a sort of 'stiff arm ' rolling the head over to a take down ... 'finish' depends on the dynamic , how you are positioned, how they fall, etc .

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... Oh look !

I am a white belt again

Ghesset
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kendo, BJJ/MMA, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA - uh, I’d hope it was telegraphed enough for me to set my guard to deflect or absorb it. From there so much would depend on the opponent’s size and strength. If it seemed like a fair/ish fight of someone with similar training, I’d probably teep to get distance control, or try and jump right to Muay Thaii clinch. Whichever one seemed the safer bet.

BJJ - probably hope to raise my guard to deflect or block again, but this time if I successfully didn’t get KO’d I’d probably go for whichever throw or takedown seemed the highest percentage chance. Since lots of my takedown work basically sucks I’d probably go for a Double leg or maybe a hip toss depending on distance. On the ground I’d go for the back and pull guard if I missed.

Kendo - In the words of my senses: “Why don’t you go men (head target) first?” So I’d probably just try and beat his strike to the target by attacking his kote.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest emphasis to respond to an attack IMO is using the mind and awareness first and foremost as taught by my Karate styles. The physical attack being used can be any part of your body or strike. My Style always emphasizes relaxation in technique, as to allow the for a speedy response

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyRPAQRMo0

Basically this without the knife.

We'd do about the same thing, but with balance. That guy is soooo off balance I'm surprised he didnt fall down! Also, being off balance, he's losing most of his power. He'll hit the guy, then he will fall backwards.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: How does your style respond to an attack? Reply with quote

lit-arate wrote:
Since we have a plethora of different styles on this site, I'm curious to read how different styles agree or disagree in technique, etc. So, let's compare our style's "typical" response to, for sake of ease, a right roundhouse punch (or straight, if your style doesn't do roundhouses). You pick which foot the opponent uses to step, your starting stance, etc.

I'll start (obviously).

EPAK: My Kenpo reflex would be the technique called "Five Swords." Step forward with right foot to check their right shin while doing a right inward block and left outward parry. Right hand chops the throat as you turn to a forward stance with an upward thrusting palm to the face, loading the right hand at the same time. Turn back with a right uppercut to the solar-plexus/stomach while covering high with left. Bounce off, step to the side and left outward chop the temple (since the opponent will hopefully double over with the uppercut) while raising the right hand, turn and settle on a right downward chop to C7. From there, I would probably go into an aikido take-down, so I'll stop.

I hate all the videos of this technique on youtube, but here's the best I could find. This guy moves like a robot, strikes like he has t-rex arms, and is rigid as stone. So, imagine him moving more like the second video (my instructor doing a different technique):

This technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7stN0JNMRFM 2:03

With this movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QdB9PbL2tg&feature=related 1:10

The 5 Swords is pretty much the same as we'd do, however, more likely we'd use ONE hand to block the punch by stepping inside the punch and simultaneously as throwing your block you'd be throwing a punch to either the face or the solar plexus. Followed up by other punches, kick to the groin/knee, etc.

We tend to like to shift to the side, as Kempo does, then move inside an opponents attack and counter. Sorry, no videos.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: