Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

lit-arate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo; Aikido; Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: How does your style respond to an attack? Reply with quote

Since we have a plethora of different styles on this site, I'm curious to read how different styles agree or disagree in technique, etc. So, let's compare our style's "typical" response to, for sake of ease, a right roundhouse punch (or straight, if your style doesn't do roundhouses). You pick which foot the opponent uses to step, your starting stance, etc.

I'll start (obviously).

EPAK: My Kenpo reflex would be the technique called "Five Swords." Step forward with right foot to check their right shin while doing a right inward block and left outward parry. Right hand chops the throat as you turn to a forward stance with an upward thrusting palm to the face, loading the right hand at the same time. Turn back with a right uppercut to the solar-plexus/stomach while covering high with left. Bounce off, step to the side and left outward chop the temple (since the opponent will hopefully double over with the uppercut) while raising the right hand, turn and settle on a right downward chop to C7. From there, I would probably go into an aikido take-down, so I'll stop.

I hate all the videos of this technique on youtube, but here's the best I could find. This guy moves like a robot, strikes like he has t-rex arms, and is rigid as stone. So, imagine him moving more like the second video (my instructor doing a different technique):

This technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7stN0JNMRFM 2:03

With this movement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QdB9PbL2tg&feature=related 1:10

Aikido: With my limited aikido knowledge (5th kyu), I would probably do a variation on yokomenuchi iriminage. Starting left foot forward, step through to upper right corner and bring left foot to follow while parrying the strike with the right hand. Shuffle in to close the distance while continuing their momentum by guiding the punch around to the opposite side of their body (it looks as though you are trying to make them choke themselves), pull them close with left hand. Tenkan (left foot circles counterclockwise so that you end up facing the complete opposite direction) and continue the momentum so that the movement of their arm carries them toward their left. Tenkan right and pull them the other direction (since they will be fighting to go that way, anyway), drop, then step forward with right, brining your right arm straight up under their chin, then pointing it down over their back toward the floor. Then, in true aikido fashion (sarcasm), I would bust out some EPAK and kick until they stopped moving. Sometimes I have trouble with the whole "harmony" bit. (Just kidding) (Mostly)

I wish I were 1% as awesome as Shihan Tissier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZef071snTM

What would your style do? Videos would be awesome.
people just imagine their minds are hard.
~ Shih-wu

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I would classify my response to a roundhouse punch as being part of the style I practice--the style is a collection of concepts, but how you utilize those concepts is what makes it an art. I, personally, would step in with my left foot (assuming they threw a right punch) blocking the inside of their bicep with my left arm and popping them in the jaw with my right elbow, then throw them with osoto gari.

That's what I say, now, and that's what I practice for roundhouse punches, but something completely different could happen if someone were to really throw one at me. For instance if someone throws a roundhouse in class when I am expecting a straight punch I usually duck and redirect the swing over my head, then jam the elbow to keep them from throwing another swing.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Taiikuka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kendo Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ, Muay Thai Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jeet Kune Do response would be simple and yet the response for just about any move you can think up.

If a Right punch of any kind is thrown you throw a straight punch off the left hand. The idea here is yours come out just in front of the other cutting it off and landing a blow to the head first.

In Jeet Kune do you do not block. I thought this was a little odd when i first started training but Bruce Lee felt it was a waste of energy to block when you can have the same effect with a punch of your own. Even if you opponent was able to keep from getting hit by blocking or moving his head you now have both his hands tied up in a move while you can go for a second attack w3ith the other hand.

As far as kicks it is pretty much the same a Front kick or if in close enough a jab will do since your front side is your strong side in JKD when landing the blow it is a very hard and effective hit.
-- Bruce Lee

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immediatley strike in a stright line. The striaght motion of a jab or cross will be quicker than the hook. Stop the looping puch with a penetrating straight line attack.

That's best option opener. Follow up from there. My typical follow up is some sort of takedown.

If a parry is called for, a simple boxing parry with the elbow bent towards his head and my fist lying against theisde of my head. Drive forward with it to allebiate the impact and counter.

That's next best.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyRPAQRMo0

Basically this without the knife.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simultaneous, block and stop hit(punch, palm heel strike, eye gouge, koko strike etc.) followed by recipricating punches or knees to the groin.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groinstrike wrote:
Simultaneous, block and stop hit(punch, palm heel strike, eye gouge, koko strike etc.) followed by recipricating punches or knees to the groin.

I think Tim created Krav Maga in the 80s. Too bad the Israelis beat him to it by 40 years.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a Shindokanist, the varied possibilities are numerous to say the least. Albeit, whichever I decide to execute it would depend on the moment, nonetheless, it can be assured that a Shindokanist would be angling forwards, always forward, to execute a wide variety of deflects, traps, grasps, misdirections, re-directions, slips, checks, strikes, etc., to aide in my Tuite, shall it present itself during the moment, which to a Shindokanists, Tuite and the like are our primary tools of choice.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "best technique" for any given attack. What works for me and that I choose to use at 6'6" tall and 245 lbs with 35 years of experience and training, may not work for the 5' tall, 100 lb women with 6 months of training and experience.

That's why different techniques are learned and practiced.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

lit-arate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo; Aikido; Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no "best technique" for any given attack.

Quote:
For a Shindokanist, the varied possibilities are numerous to say the least.

Obviously. So, what would be an example of your response?
people just imagine their minds are hard.
~ Shih-wu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: