Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: How Fast You Could Be? Reply with quote

How fast could you be?

As fast as DK Yoo perhaps?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_IZeX4N0s

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that we could at once strike with the eyes! In the long way from the eyes through the arm to the fist, how much is lost!

Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee's unnoticeable movements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWj-zU8koes

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is related to explosiveness, and a large part of how explosive we can be is based on our genetics. Aside from Bruce Lee being all that he became, he was an incredibly gifted and explosive athlete.

That said, speed drills have value for everyone. Working on timing is also a way to improve others perception of how fast you are, along with reaction time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fast as I need to be. As fast as I must be. As fast as required.

Speed...acceleration...quickness...velocity...rapid...fast...

Here's the one constant thing about the word "fast". Physicists, for example, when describing things like "acceleration"...don't ever use the word "fast"

Is the speed/acceleration of our movements gradual or instantaneous? Both! Depending on vectors and how they are set in motion, mean everything.

As a MAist, I strive to increase the "speed" of my movements, but only at any given rate. Parameters dictate those given rates, and if my "speed" is nominal compared to others, but still alive, then it might be sensible to grasp that effectual "speed" is "fast" enough to a attainable goal.

"Speed" and "velocity" aren't the same thing: speed is a scalar, whereas velocity is a vector. One must use different rules when combining "speeds" and combining "velocities".

I consider my movements, especially when my hand movements are concerned, quite exceptionally "fast". This, I believe, is due to the endurance of many decades of training in Shindokan; Shindokan is 85% hands, 15% feet.

I'm not that overwhelmingly impressed at how "fast" another MAist is because it's, to me, not that relevant in its totality. Sure, I can express just how "fast" another MAist movements are, just like others. However, I end that being overly awestruck because during any given moment, I've a job to do...only one job...being "faster" than my opponent at any given necessary time(s), not constant time(s).

I admire capabilities, but that's where it ends. Why?? Because I'm only concerned with my own, even while I'm aware of my opponents own capabilities. Again, I've a job to do, and God willing, I'll do MY job far better than my opponent.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capture the moment.

Photographers aim to capture the moment at the critical point in time.

Bruce Lee's intercepting fist, is also intercepting the moment to gain an instant advantage over the opponent.

Photography is part of my profession, photographing action or moving objects takes a special type of timing, that can be improved upon with practice.

Practicing and improving visual perception skills is possible but needs a keen sense of concentration, while following moving objects.

My personal practice involves visually following water, spouting out of fountains, with practice it is possible to see faster than the speed of the flow; literally seeing the water in a millisecond in a frozen state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: