Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training at home, via facebook messenger group. There are 3 of us preparing for shodan grading so we are keeping up the training, Honbu has done a bunch of on-demand classes for the various grades that our dojo may access and use. Training at home only, with cardio (running, walking and cycling permitted on the streets, keeping ourselves in a 2m "bubble" at all times.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
If you do decide to try something streaming, Danielle, update us as to how it goes and what kind of feedback you get.

We did a test run with the blackbelts on Friday with Zoom. Great software, but very weird teaching to a camera and not being able to physically interact with people. Also challenging setting up the room and lighting.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
If you do decide to try something streaming, Danielle, update us as to how it goes and what kind of feedback you get.

We did a test run with the blackbelts on Friday with Zoom. Great software, but very weird teaching to a camera and not being able to physically interact with people. Also challenging setting up the room and lighting.

Lighting was not something I had considered. Good to know. Our school is in the process of setting something up, so we'll see how we approach it.

Not being able to interact would have to be the toughest part about it! Sometimes the cues we give out in regards to techniques are aided by a little bit of personal contact (appropriate, of course), and missing this aspect will be a challenging aspect to a new way of teaching.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually training more now on a regular basis than I have in a long time, though it is solo training. I'm juggling working remotely, along with my wife, and caring for our toddler. I can't stray too far or too long away from the house, and there's too many people out & about taking walks & such, so my other exercise activities of running and bicycling are limited.
"Backyard Karate", as I call it, works well in this situation.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Covid 19 changed my training, most definitely.

Being in lockdown for 40 days straight whilst not stepping outdoors from home was a challenge and learning experience with no gym or outdoor facilities to help pass the time.

However having enough home gym equipment on hand to practice with saved a lot of hassle as all none essential stores were closed very abruptly.

As most people have never expected such an event would have such an impact world wide to not be able to venture outside for such a long period of time, as if living in some kind of surreal science fiction movie with deserted streets and business and buildings locked down.

Meanwhile focusing on core exercises and flexibility for 40 days straight without hesitation or considering the consequences.

Eating more and dropping the cardio exercises, whilst in lockdown their is no room for excuses, weighing in at 3 kilos more not so terrible but still inexcusable.

Have managed to reverse the unwanted weight gains by eating healthier and cooking everything at home, replacing some meals with eating just Watermelon.

Not eating out and not using any type of restaurant since the beginning of 2020.

With cholesterol and blood sugar levels have risen due to decreased physical activities now back to a healthier level, with a better appreciation for better eating habits.

The question to oneself being, has my fitness levels decreased, improved or has it remained normal?

The only real noticeable impact has been that my cardio level has decreased, including my upper body strength also, boxing and footwork skills have also suffered.

Where I should have factored in many other areas also during lockdown, or at the very least to have maintained them.

Of course the benefits has been increased flexibility in just a few areas and a stronger core and lower back that relates to improved kicking performance.

Going to the gym is not happening but instead twice a day with 3Hr sessions is to the outdoor adult fitness park (most days) 5 days a week.

Having more appreciation for this from a Spartan warrior standpoint as not having the usual paraphernalia the gym provides.

Going to the outdoor gym has its benefits such as getting back to the simple things such as air, sun, earth, water, rocks and wooden exercise equipment, also metal with railings that are convenient to use for stretching and concrete slabs for doing yoga on.

Taking the advantage of getting warmed up by the sun outdoors prior to stretching has also been a bonus and of course getting the necessary vitamin D.

Getting back in to the park workout environment compared to the gym scene feels like a process of getting back into the way things were a few years back before enrolling in an indoor gym.

Where adding new workout habits and exercises, only one or two a week, doing things on a steady progressive course adds to the daily challenges that makes up for not having any gym equipment.

Being adequately hydrated to last 3 Hrs is something new that is now possible but not so in the past as adding the resiliency factor to training sessions with an additional professional fighter focus attitude without music or electronic devices for entertainment.

As not a stranger to this park as this is where I was teaching martial arts once a week before the lockdown.

As adapting to the new normal is back in the park for me without belonging to an indoor gym, just with more experience to work with.

As in the past was more interactive with others in the park giving tips here and their but with this keeping distance between people it just isn't the done thing any more.

Thefore it is the time to be the Lone Wolf martial artist for a while longer.

Wishing you all well...

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there hasn’t been any lockdown, the health crisis did have a noticeable effect on dojo attendance. The dojo closed for a time and then reopened about a month ago, it under very strict conditions. Anyone who trains must wear a mask and the floor and equipment is thoroughly disinfected afterwards.

Sensei wears both a mask an a face-shield and training is limited to private and semi-private sessions with four or less people at one time. Those who do show up must also check their body temperature. Anyone even slightly feverish is asked to go home.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did Zoom classes and just this last week opened our in-person classes back up.

I have to say video teaching has made me a lot more creative with space and solo exercises. Though we are back to class we can't do any paired work so no padwork or sparring of any kind and we have to keep distance between each student.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had our first testing since the plague started, this past Thursday. It was a smaller testing, but those that were in there testing did a good job. I'm really hoping our numbers are able to bounce back after everything that has happened.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I e started doing a lot more kata and shadow boxing, that’s for sure. But something I never did that now do is a LOT of abdominal exercises! I was a workout junkie up until 23 or so, I’m 25 now and hate working out unless I’m doing karate - in which case I train like I’m Goku (in my head). Otherwise, I like to work on mobility and milf flexibility.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy I tested for shodan late last year - I don't think I'd have been able to justify training at home and still qualifying for shodan testing, nor do I think there's "remote shodan testing".

Because of COVID I had to quit my muay thai training - for now -, there's no way I am going to go to the gym and breathe the indoors air with other people who are exhaling hard since they're exercising, even if we're all 6 feet apart.

I am not going to the (kempo) dojo either, but I am having remote lessons, doing kata remote is feasible, unlike remote padwork, remote heavy bag work, etc.

I shadow box solo at home so I don't get too rusty in muay thai, but it's clearly not the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: