Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points OneKickWonder. Especially, the emphasis on the importance of avoiding violent encounters. Of course, that isn't always in our control, but it can be to a large degree.

http://Www.higher-self-martial-arts-health-wellness.com

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher Self wrote:
Great points OneKickWonder. Especially, the emphasis on the importance of avoiding violent encounters. Of course, that isn't always in our control, but it can be to a large degree.

Very true.

I guess the point I was attempting to make is that sadly, too many 'self defence' instructors focus on the point at which it is almost too late. Ie, the physical violence stage.

A person that is going to start a physical confrontation knows in advance, even if only a moment in advance, that they are starting a fight. Basically they know they are attacking before the intended victim knows they need to defend themselves.

The self defence teacher that follows the standard formula, if they do that you do this, is overlooking many things. Two important things he is overlooking are 1. If the attacker does that, you will panic. Unless you have trained a lot, you will be unlikely to do the technique you've trained. And 2, the attacker isn't going to grab you then wait, or throw a straight punch from 2 miles away then wait. It will be pure chaotic violence. Your response will be pure primal instinct.

If by chance the attack by chance puts you in a position that is familiar from training, for example if you find yourself in a position you've trained many times, then you're training might kick in. But perhaps the biggest issue is that the terms 'martial art' and 'self defence' are too often used interchangeably. They are very different things.

A real self defence teacher will cover situation awareness, posturing to be ready but passive, body language and verbal skills to diffuse and de-escalate, and finally physical defence with a view to facilitating escape. Very different to 'martial arts'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: