Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 53 years in Shindokan, I still don't know our Kata's!! Why?? I'm constantly learning more things about them...the more I train them, the more I learn; I don't know everything...I'm not expected to know everything!!

Shu Ha Ri...over and over and over and over and over...until the day I die.

I'm very well versed in Shindokan Kata's, as well as many other Kata's outside of the Shindokan circle, however, after 53 years, I believe that I've still barely scratched the surface. Yeah, I've scuffed the heck out of the surface, but, still, I don't know everything because I'm not perfect.

I don't want to know everything about anything, especially MA related because if I know everything, then what's there to learn?? That would be a very lonely existence!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi Cho
Plagwe Il, Ee, Sam, Saa and Oh Jang forms... that's it for me for now!

Forms are quite important in my school, but we don't have a lot. We do Chi Cho, 8 palgwe forms, Koryo and Kum Gang (this takes us through second dahn.) Then we learn 5 Hap Ki Do forms for our 3rd dahn. Not sure what happens after that... The only one with that high of a rank aside from our master instructor jumped ship!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, continuously learning forms is important. Let us never become stale and put one on a shelf. For that reason, I'll answer in a tier system:

I can perform 27/27 standard shotokan kata without messing up the order of techniques while in a group.

I can perform 22/27 shotokan kata at a basic level of competence, confidently, alone (katas that I simply don't practice enough: jiin, meikyo, wankan, gojushiho-dai, tekki 3)

I can perform 19/27 shotokan kata to a level that I feel is "good" (taikyoku 1, heian 1-5, tekki 1 & 2, bassai dai, bassai sho, kanku dai, kanku sho, enpi, jion, jitte, gankaku, hangetsu, nijushiho, unsu)

I have a total of 14/27 katas that I feel are "competition-ready" (heian 1-5, tekki 1, bassai dai, bassai sho, kanku dai, kanku sho, enpi, jion, gankaku, nijushiho)

I have 8 favorite kata that I do just for me when I'm alone, because they make me feel happy (hangetsu, heian yondan, tekki1, kanku sho, bassai sho, nijushiho, gankaku)

Gankaku is new to two of those lists, a couple years ago it used to be on my most disliked kata list, but thanks to the support of some really good friends I've been able to find some deeper parts of it to appreciate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: