Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

How many styles do you think a Martial Artist can balance effectively and simultaneously?
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

guitarguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how much time you have to train and what the arts are. I like the idea of grounding yourself in an art and then taking up another one as a supplement to fill in any gaps. For example Being proficient at a striking art and taking up a grappling art to supplement it. Also you have to think how are the arts going to work together, theres no point picking arts if they don't complement each other.
I see some people who are intermediate at a large amount of striking arts for example they might do boxing, kick boxing, tkwando and Mauy Tai. My line of thinking is ok why not stick with one lets say Kick Boxing and instead of adding another striking art supplement it with judo. I think ideally speaking two is perfect and it's better to be really good at one and decent at the other which aids as a supplement then to be intermediate at best in about 5.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that three is the standard. You need an art that allows you to defend yourself on your feet, and art that allows you to control where a fight takes place, and a fight that allows you to fight on the ground. Without something from those three categories, I think you're missing a big part of your ability to be combatively useful.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you can get pretty good at something training a couple of times a week for 18-24 months - then you can move onto something else - but you'll need to train your previous stuff at least 1-2 per week to maintain your level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: