Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Oh and I coach occassionaly as well and what I was told by my coaches (when I was a competitor and becoming a coach myself) was not to give instructions every few seconds. I am allowed to cheer all I want but telling them what to do I have to hold off until the break in between rounds.

As several of my students who compete (I have 4 nephews and 3 nieces who I coach in my team also) and they all are still learning who to compete so I do give them advice on what to do (like "use your kicks more" or something like that). Most are dependent on me doing that but most after the first round have picked up valuable Intel on what type of fighter that person is. And also for future fights where people fight like that.

I mean that if they fight someone who is a counter fighter and learn some habits of that person and that type of fighter then for future fights they see those movements and that they will go "OK they fight like this so I can prevent scoring by doing effective techniques against it"

I think it depends on the level of competition and also how experienced the fighters are. I do agree that competitors need to be able to think for themselves and see opportunities but when the stakes are high it helps to have an additional pair of eyes. When I compete (and also I do when I'm coaching) my coach is constantly feeding me info and giving instruction.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic!!
The only thing I do is this, and I do it every single time...

Study your opponent
Study yourself
Make a plan
Carry that plan out

And in that, I do this with each and every opponent, but I do it for THAT moment. In that, I don't fret about things that have happened before.

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. He won 1st place in the tournament today. The fight wasn't really that interesting so I'm not going to post it but we set up a basic plan that he basically stuck to. Press early to get up and then eat clock with circles and d sides. He won 6 - 3 buuuut there was only three fighters in his division and they gave my son a bye in round one. I would've preferred more fights as the first always feels like a warmup. Plus our basic strat was based upon having at least three fights. I wanted him to conserve energy...but with only one fight...the plan was kind of a waste.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily go in with a game plan as to what I'm going to do in what order. Instead I have goals set to attempt a combination or move. How ever the times I go in with a game plan it seems I get so fixated on what I what to do I get punched in the face and the whole game changes then. I do the best when I have the mind set of this is going to hurt so let's get to it. Like some many have said "everyone has a plan till the get punched in the face".

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrats to your son!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Conrats to your son!

YES!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

So what's in the calendar now? Good time to start training for the next event!

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input and the well wishes n whatnot.

Next up turned out to be the very next day. My personal favorite instructor for my son is that gentleman that I showed the pic of with all his families' trophies. He teaches the national touring team. Haven't seen him all summer as that seems to be a bit of a dead time for the team. Anyhoot...he was the ref in the ring next to Zach's ring for that Sat. tournament.

After the fight he said that he wanted to get the national team practices going again on Sundays. So we all went there and Zach got to fight a assistant instructor from a different school that is gearing up for AKA Grand Nationals in 2 months. Considering that he is 12 and a brown belt w/stripe and she is 17 and a 2nd degree blackbelt...I was EXTREMELY proud of my son in that practice. She beat him in 3 out of 4 fights...but that is exactly what he needs.

Hard to teach off of a victory without sounding nit picky.

Heck I have a few of their fights on "tape"...as I said more proud of those that his victory on Sat. I should post a fight or two from Sunday practice.

Do not know what event we are specifically training for though. Just know that there are atleast 7 more team practices to get this girl ready for her show.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're comfortable maybe you could post some videos? Even a win can be a learning experience as you can deconstruct what he did right and what he could do better. No one has a perfect bout and there are always things you can do to improve. Sounds like it's a good thing he's got getting to train with the national team.

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Well if you're comfortable maybe you could post some videos? Even a win can be a learning experience as you can deconstruct what he did right and what he could do better. No one has a perfect bout and there are always things you can do to improve. Sounds like it's a good thing he's got getting to train with the national team.

I will if you'll comment on what you'd work on to get better. Deal?

I'll post a "Random recent fights for Zach" thread or something. I'll put the tourney fight and two practice clips in there.

I've watched the practice clips a few times. I have ideas on how to eliminate a few of her favorite things...but man o man I am the most open to suggestion on planet Earth.

Heck I've got a minute...I'll throw up 2 of the fights right now. (I still have one to be downloaded/converted yet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: