Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an essay from me (again, sorry)

Some thoughts for you to consider, chew over!
I had a tournament this weekend, my first for a few years and my first Knockdown tournament to boot!

My opponent in the tournament was known to one of our guys, so he made sure to clue me up on my opponents ability and style. So I new what to expect form him when we fought!

The advise was sound, spot on and complete in every way possible, it was like reading a book when the bout started.

He told he would come out fast, a flurry of hands.
The round started, and true to the advice he came out in the manner he had been described to me!

I was told he liked to use his legs, then about 40secs in he went for jodan Mawashi!
He was good with his legs, just as he'd been described to me.

I was informed he was known to have a weak spot, his stomach.
I tested that, every time he came in close, it was true.

These points were all I had to get into him, as the first round this information was priceless and perfect.

So from the start;
When he came in all fast hands, I was prepared and blocked/deflected what he threw at me and hit back.
The strike backs were all tests with regards to his weak point.

The first exchange, was a shock to us both I think! he clearly wanted to dominate from the start, and was determined to ensure that never happened.
I feel he felt I'd back out, I didn't, I feel he thought he would punch and 'wake me up', I was not affected! I got the impression he new I could punch, but as a the new guy on the mat he had no idea how much or how hard the question would get answered!

Each exchange after that was much shorter, when I hit I could 'feel' I hurt him more then he hurt me, as I was adding interest in the strike count about 2 to 1, I was more than happy with how this was apparently going.

So he switched up to kicking, inner leg shots which I was not happy about, never have been so I wanted to protect them early on, (save them for later when I would be tired and less mobile) so I moved round him taking much if not all the sting out of the attacks.
He changed to body shots, only one got through, but again I was not affected, (be assured it hurt) I had no doubt he could kick!
So he switched up again and went jodan which I ducked and pushed back on him, not connecting with anything, just demonstrating the intention.
Why?
I was sure he wasn't up to trading punches with me, and I was right as I chased him down he backed off!

So for me it was time to look for another way into him another tell, thing was he moved back to inner leg attacks, he'd already picked up my lack of desire to be kicked in the inner thigh!

I ultimately lost the bout, a judges decision, unfortunately my moving off/back/away placed...bits into attack range and I was caught a couple of times.
The second time was the charm!

I had no plan other then to test him, to react to what he offered, to get a feel for him, no more no less. The results were positive I picked up various tells and so I moved to hunt him down.

However, I had made a mistake and not appreciated its reach or affect until I woke yesterday when it hit me (as it were)! I had preplanned an aspect of the bout, one he picked up on and unfortunate as it was he benefited from!

Question;
Should you pre-plan a fight?
Answer:
No never!

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this outcome with us. It sounds like you were working things pretty well, but just came up a bit short. And now you have some things to add in for next time. Keep it up!

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good learning experience.
One I am happy to add more to, I will be fighting again!

I'm a different person now, I can't explain it or why I just feel it, and the others , the regular fighters are different towards me!
I was respected before by them as well as the others but now there is a new connection with the fighters and a new look of respect from the others like being 'blood'ed for the first time and the acceptance that comes with that I guess works here!

You need courage, I was told to stand up and walk out into a knockdown bout, after all the person on the other side is not considering you for inclusion to his Christmas card list, far from it!

If you get a chance, study the rules, do some serious core work, serious leg and arm conditioning and have ago go!

oh! don't be afraid to dip into the 'insane' mind set box as you train from time to time!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say never have a plan. There's a reason why boxers and other fighters will study the hell out of their opponents and watch as much footage as possible. You need a loose game plan to have an idea of where to start. It worked for you initially. The key is that it shouldn't be rigid and that you should be adaptable just as your opponent adapts to what you are doing. A good fighter is also usually a clever fighter who is constantly absorbing information over yr course of the fight and adjusting their game accordingly.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this outcome with us. It sounds like you were working things pretty well, but just came up a bit short. And now you have some things to add in for next time. Keep it up!

I concur!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: