Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
My limited experience is that good karate doesn't always advertise, and one has to look hard to find it. But folks that prefer to teach and train, vs. manage and live off of their clients, are often found teaching in community centers, home dojos, etc. and the cost is usually minimal.
A very good friend of mine says the same thing. Unfortunately, after moving to a different state, I don't know anybody! I'm not into pats on the back, and I've never been to a tournament.
Toptomcat wrote:
Krunchyfrogg- I have a free place for you if you don't mind driving half an hour. PM me if you want details.
PM sent.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not expect a martial arts school to be free to train there. Let's be realistic - it's also a business. I'm talking about OVER-charging AND charging high fees in neighborhoods that have middle to low income levels.

On a separate note, training at a school that awards certificates for promotions, belt rank advancement, etc., (whatever the cost may be) doesn't mean one has an ego-trip desire.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I posted "NOTHING" "FREE" I was speaking of my own idle hopes and dreams of possibilities over some other horizon.

I've only known one way to operate my dojo's; as a business. In that, my business' were for profit, therefore, my prices (Instructions/Retail) were set as low as possible so that I could ensure that a profit was being made when the economic downturn was at its most dynamic point. Even before the bottom fell out of the economy, my prices were never high across the board. That's only because, I don't think that learning any martial arts should come at a high price, but at an affordable price that allows all walks of the economic spectrum to partake freely.

1987witherspoon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez

At my club, we train 1.5hrs and we are charged £1.50.
Good value I think

shotokan-ste
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i attend a dojo in north west england 2hours each lesson £5 which i think is excellent vaue,i did look at a club that wanted £250 deposit and £75 a month for a 12 month contract which worked out at £1150 a year

ArtGood
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my son's school in Indiana they charge $109 a month for 2 classes a week. They also charge $35 each time there is a belt advancement (for the testing and belt). I think it is TOO MUCH, but it is local, and all the instructors are great people.

So, you get what you pay for is probably the rule.

monk64
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought contracts were one of the worst parts of the martial arts experience. I know why instructors do them: people lose interest. It's the same with gyms - most want you to sign up for a year (or three!)

What is fairer is a system where you can sign up for a monthly program, and then if you really like it, make a yearly commitment at a discount.

Unfortunately, with martial arts studios, there's always one more little extra you have to pay for: test fees, certificate fees, new belts, uniforms, and of course the "association". I always thought those were particularly ridiculous...sure, if it's a big national federation and you compete, maybe they make sense, but mostly associations are another fee.

SimonAsh86
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having been training for only a short time i am not too well up on a "good price" but i can say this, what my sensei charges s great value i think.

£3.50 per session which are 2 hours in length

2 sessions per week

Gradings are £5 an that includes the new belt and that sessions fees aswell.

Its basically only charging to cover the rental of the hall we use.

Lookin4Answers
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear about recommendation in SE Florida... or hints and tips to know if I'm paying too much. I posted here:
http://www.karateforums.com/fees-i-m-reading-about-mcdojo-and-weary-of-ov-vt44331.html

(New to the forum and doing a lot of reading...)

Thanks!

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, it varies a lot. There are many things to consider. Expensive isn't always overpriced, and cheap isn't always a better bargain.

The cost of real estate can be a big factor. Beverly Hills is way more expensive than Reseda (Daniel-san's neighborhood in the Karate Kid). In most areas, a retail space is much more expensive than a warehouse space which is typically more expensive than a community center. However, a retail space is often more convenient than a warehouse space, and in a community center, you might not have the kind of floor you'd like or mirrors or enough storage for training equipment.

Also, some martial arts schools might offer more stuff for your money. Some charge for testing and some don't. Some offer a choice of multiple programs. One school that comes to mind offers Tang Soo Do, Krav Maga, and fitness classes, and you can go to several classes per day if you have the time and the energy. Some have full gyms with weights, locker rooms and showers or a boxing ring or an MMA octagon. I think I have schools with all these features within 15 or 20 minutes of my house.

By the way, I've heard of programs around here running from about $40 up to something like $200 per month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: