Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: [Link] How people walk correlates with risk of attack Reply with quote

Stafford, Tom. (5 November 2013). "How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged". BBC News, retrieved 11/5/2013, 13:20 CST
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131104-how-muggers-size-up-your-walk/all
Quote:
How you move gives a lot away. Maybe too much, if the wrong person is watching. We think, for instance, that the way people walk can influence the likelihood of an attack by a stranger. But we also think that their walking style can be altered to reduce the chances of being targeted.

A small number of criminals commit most of the crimes, and the crimes they commit are spread unevenly over the population: some unfortunate individuals seem to be picked out repeatedly by those intent on violent assault..
Quote:
...A first group of volunteers were filmed walking before and after doing a short self defence course. Using the point-light technique, their walking styles were rated by volunteers (not prisoners) for vulnerability. Perhaps surprisingly, the self-defence training didn't affect the walkers’ ratings.

In a second experiment, recruits were given training in how to walk, specifically focusing on the aspects which the researchers knew affected how vulnerable they appeared: factors affecting the synchrony and energy of their movement. This led to a significant drop in all the recruits' vulnerability ratings, which was still in place when they were re-tested a month later.
(Emphasis mine.)

Thoughts?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately UK viewers don't have access to that article, international viewing only.

However, at least anecdotally, I would agree with the quotes that how somebody walks and how their body language conveys how confident they are and subsequently how vulnerable they may be to attackers.

Does the article say anything on how long the SD course was or the content. How successful are these short self defense courses in actually teaching skills and / or boosting confidence levels? Maybe instead of SD courses people should take this research and take classes on body language instead.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is pretty short. The quotes pretty much cover the overall observation. That's all it says about the length.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source article being referenced is here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02559.x/abstract
Johnston, L., Hudson, S. M., Richardson, M. J., Gunns, R. E. and Garner, M. (2004), Changing Kinematics as a Means of Reducing Vulnerability to Physical Attack. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34: 514–537. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02559.x
Unfortunately, if I want to read it, i'm going to need to ILL it.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I people watch on a regular basis (purely because I get bored really quickly). And I have noticed how people walk and how they show their confidence and other aspects of themselves.

I have many friends who have unfortunately gone through the criminal system for several different reasons and they all have told me that their victims were easy prey because of different reasons. But they are all reformed people and their sentences were less than a year and weren't crimes that you couldn't get a visa because of it.

They have told me that it was because their victims were smaller, weaker or (not trying to sound sexist) females. Or that was because it was at night or their hands were full.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Tbh I people watch on a regular basis (purely because I get bored really quickly). And I have noticed how people walk and how they show their confidence and other aspects of themselves.
...because their victims were smaller, weaker or (not trying to sound sexist) females. Or that was because it was at night or their hands were full.

Agree with that!

A confident posture is as effective as looking like 'Hulk' carrying a loaded shotgun.

The attacker is looking for anything that gives them an apparent advantage, a low slung head can suggest tired as much as it suggests a lack of confidence, and so making you a potential target!
Likewise to walk around looking like Mr. Bean chewing a bee, is pretty much shouting "come on then lets ave it!" when there is no real ability, this guy is gonna get some new friends real quick ..... because they thought it would be fun!

Confidence is massively important, but more than that confidence to carry it off.

Watch people as they walk around in a pub(bar) chest out, tight vest top, trainers, shaved head maybe, but more so the fact there arms are held a foot away from the rib cage...not because the muscle pushed the arm out..there is no muscle there at all...them guys!

(Don't actually do this) Stare at him, now how long before he wanders over and asks you polity to step outside.......?

What about the guy in the same pub(bar) who looks a little quiet has a slight/small build, head down......if either of these two come close to each other who stands slightly taller and steps into the others space who shrinks away ever so much and lets his space get invaded!?

Same bar, look around, the guy that never holds a stare at all, just seems to look up at none specific times or objects, stands 'normal', happy, head up, arms relaxed at his side, maybe holding a drink, small smile maybe, when he speaks he's clearly and has upbeat tone in his voice, now look at the vest top guy if anything stays away!
If he does come close he never looks directly at this guy never steps into this guys space either....confidence!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
...because their victims were smaller, weaker or (not trying to sound sexist) females. Or that was because it was at night or their hands were full.

Agree with that!

A confident posture is as effective as looking like 'Hulk' carrying a loaded shotgun.

The attacker is looking for anything that gives them an apparent advantage, a low slung head can suggest tired as much as it suggests a lack of confidence, and so making you a potential target!
Likewise to walk around looking like Mr. Bean chewing a bee, is pretty much shouting "come on then lets ave it!" when there is no real ability, this guy is gonna get some new friends real quick ..... because they thought it would be fun!

Confidence is massively important, but more than that confidence to carry it off.

Watch people as they walk around in a pub(bar) chest out, tight vest top, trainers, shaved head maybe, but more so the fact there arms are held a foot away from the rib cage...not because the muscle pushed the arm out..there is no muscle there at all...them guys!

(Don't actually do this) Stare at him, now how long before he wanders over and asks you polity to step outside.......?

What about the guy in the same pub(bar) who looks a little quiet has a slight/small build, head down......if either of these two come close to each other who stands slightly taller and steps into the others space who shrinks away ever so much and lets his space get invaded!?

Same bar, look around, the guy that never holds a stare at all, just seems to look up at none specific times or objects, stands 'normal', happy, head up, arms relaxed at his side, maybe holding a drink, small smile maybe, when he speaks he's clearly and has upbeat tone in his voice, now look at the vest top guy if anything stays away!
If he does come close he never looks directly at this guy never steps into this guys space either....confidence!

Great post!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone who is observant can learn a lot from watching how others act. Confidence levels tend to come out in physical actions, and seeing how someone carries themself can indicate how they feel about themselves.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think someone who is observant can learn a lot from watching how others act. Confidence levels tend to come out in physical actions, and seeing how someone carries themself can indicate how they feel about themselves.

yup! 100% yes!
......the best weapons anyone has are the eyes and the mind behind them!

Never be afraid to use them...ever!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the highlighted portion, in regards to the self-defense course. If its not something those walkers would have done regularly, I can see how it wouldn't affect them.

But, what if they studied a group of MAists that had been studying for 20 years? Would that group rate differently? I would think they would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: