Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: How should samurai swords be displayed? Reply with quote

I was recently in a friend of a friend's house at a party, this guy had a 3 tier samurai sword rack on display (just a cheap ornament type as opposed to real weopons) I told him he was displaying them wrong, which he seemed to take offence to. He had them katana at the top and tanto at the bottom with all 3 having the blade edge downwards. I told him it should be Tanto to the top, Katana to the bottom and blade edge upward with handles to the left. I'm no expert on this but sure I read somewhere it was all to do with the order a Samurai would attatch each weapon to his armour and how the sword would be drawn. He basically told me I was talking nonsense (personally I think he just didn't like being corrected by a woman ) Am i right in what I said, or am I indeed talking nonsense?

M.

SteyrAUG
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally cutting edge up with the katana on top.

But there are lots of considerations. How one displayed their Daisho often was an indicator of the threat assessment of their area (sort of a Bushi Defcon system if you will) and / or an indicator of how much they actually trusted their present company.

Older Tachi are often seen displayed cutting edge down and that is how they were worn suspended from the belt. There are lots of conventions but not really rules. Most people tend to subscribe to the notion of cutting edge up protects the cutting edge of the blade. And now you will often see Tachi displayed in that manner as well.

When it comes to how to display cheap decorative "Made in China" junk, I prefer a good rubbermaid garbage can.

So there really wasn't any need to correct your friend. He didn't have genuine Nihon To, he really didn't even have modern Katana. He should display them as he wishes.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When it comes to how to display cheap decorative "Made in China" junk, I prefer a good rubbermaid garbage can.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said anything, but with a beer or two I say things too easily
But the conversation in general did get me wondering if what I had read was right, so who better to ask than the guys on KF.

M.

SteyrAUG
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said anything, but with a beer or two I say things too easily
But the conversation in general did get me wondering if what I had read was right, so who better to ask than the guys on KF.

M.

There are some dojo where there is absolutely a strict protocol regarding how you even pick up a katana from the katana kake (sword stand) and very defined protocols with respect to where and how they are placed on a katana kake. But these aren't as "ancient" a tradition as some would suggest and they stop short of being "rules."

If you owned a Daisho (pair of swords) and you displayed them with the waki on top and the katana on the bottom even that technically would not be wrong. Generally the katana is on top for a few reasons, mostly out of practicality and having your main weapon easy to reach.

But the most commonly accepted convention, in my experience, has been katana on top, waki on the bottom with both cutting edges up. Tanto and Aikuchi are rarely displayed on a kake.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are also supposed to have the blade facing East toward the rising sun.

Personally I like my blades sharp and easily reached if needed.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they're only ornaments at ones home, then I believe that said owner can display them anyway they see fit. How is it hurting anyone?

Imho!

devil dog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, Kobudo Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really there is no wrong way. There are varying opinions but no wrong way.
I have heard a dozen ways and a dozen reasons which were all valid. Some say that the Wakizashi should be on top because it's the first sword placed into the obi. Some say the Katana because it is the primary sword and deserves a higher position. Then you get into whether the Tsuka should be on the right or left. I have been told that in peace time the Tsuka is placed on the right and in war time or if you expect hostilities it would be placed on the left. As far as edge down or up I have been told you display the Daisho or Tachi as you would wear them. Edge up if Katana and Wakizashi and edge down if Tachi.
Personally I display my Daisho edge up, Tsuka to the right, Katana on top and in Shirasaya. But again different schools have different traditions and I have seen them displayed many ways and to their school it's the right way.
In the end display them the way you like. Heck I was even once told that the Katana is on top because the daisho resembles the Torii. Who knows? It really doesn't matter as long as your happy with the way you display your swords.
And the old wives tail about the edge being damaged if it is mounted edge side down... well I have put my Shinken through a thousand times more abuse practicing Tameshigiri than the inside of my saya could ever cause no matter how long it sits in it's saya. I don't believe it.
The bottom line is respect the sword and display it the way you feel gives it the most respect. If it is a Shinken it deserves this respect. If it's a wall hanger don't even display it IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: