Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

okehamptonunited
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate and Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: How to become a power puncher Reply with quote

I am a member of a boxing gym. I train there every week. One of my friends told me that a man who used to train there (only 17) could knock people down in a sparring match. Does anyone know how to get this sort of power?

kansascityshuffle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, muay thai, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody that is able to do this I'll give you my tips.

You have to be able to commit to your punches. This is much easier said then done! Far too many people will start to punch and see their opponent posture to defend or hit back and only throw a little bit of their punch...when you doubt yourself, you don't commit.

This means, you have to be able to punch through, and go all the way through with your punch. It's something most people are not born with, something they need to work on.

Now, for the power, the question is, how much do you weigh? I ask this because lets face it, size does help if you're able to use it !

Lifting weights will help a bit, but don't focus on it too much...

Since you're in a boxing gym train with 16-18 ounce gloves, and spar with 12 ounce (which I'm assuming you're doing). For all your bag and pad work, use 16-18 ounce gloves. This will make your hands feel lighter when you're wearing the 12 ounce gloves.

Basically, you need to start practice really hitting the bags as hard as you can, as often as you can, the same goes with pad work. This doesn't mean sacrifice technique, neither.

With all of this being said some people are just born with the ability to punch hard. However, it's still something I believe that can be developed.

If you want to train to hit hard, you have to practice hitting hard. Like I said, when you apply this in sparring, remember to focus on committing on the technique! Make sure to go through your target, too! If you don't commit and go through your target, I can guarantee you won't knock anybody down.

okehamptonunited
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate and Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You. This was really useful. I will start applying it when I train

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what made Nolan Ryan such a force to be reckoned with during his 27 year long MLB career and he easily threw over 100 mph and even in his 40's he was able to throw pitches well over 95 mph at will?

The SAME Basic Mechanical Fundamentals over and over and over!!

Nolan Ryan paid close attention to his repetitive basic pitching mechanical fundamentals and he practiced and practiced and practiced.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Does anyone know what made Nolan Ryan such a force to be reckoned with during his 27 year long MLB career and he easily threw over 100 mph and even in his 40's he was able to throw pitches well over 95 mph at will?

Nolan Ryan paid close attention to his repetitive basic pitching mechanical fundamentals and he practiced and practiced and practiced.

Didn't Nolan Ryan also do things like stick his hand into a bucket of sand as far as he could, and other things like that? The guy was an animal!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Didn't Nolan Ryan also do things like stick his hand into a bucket of sand as far as he could, and other things like that? The guy was an animal!

ROFL!!

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with kansascityshuffle. some more advice that i would suggest to you is to try olympic lifting. Workouts such as the Clean and Jerk, the Power Clean and the Snatch all build explosive speed and power. and when/if you can apply those skills to your punches, you'll notice some good improvements. BUT, you absolutely have to listen to what kansascityshuffle said. good luck with your training!

mirkoinbrazil
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably shifted all his weight into the punch and drove it on in once the glove made contact. I predict this guy (kid) ran out of sparring partners pretty quick by trying to knock them down during sparring.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using your hips is absolutely key.

Hip power works for punching...and a million other things.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advice from a boxing coach on this subject.

https://youtu.be/BrrE7Bdc1aU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: