Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just practicing bear hugs and discussing the bunkai of the first techniques in Naihanchi Nidan last night. This is a defense against a bear hug but seems far from perfect. Proper form is bending at the knees and dropping your weight down and raising your elbows only as high as your shoulders. This frees up your arms and hands but realistically in practice it left the attackers clasped arms around your head or neck. I think in theory the kata supposes you are superior to your opponent and you'll be in the clear if you're able to mobilize your hands and start the next technique. Or maybe the theory is your attacker will give up his grip once you start to give him the slip. I think in a real mismatch with a large attacker you might be making your situation worse. Being in a bear hug is bad and can lead down an ugly path, but it is still safer than being in a rear choke and possibly going to sleep. I think maybe the only real defense a small woman has against a bear hug from a large male is never letting it begin. Manage your personal space and run away when you need to.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a similar move in one of the 3rd dan TKD patterns, Yoo-Sin. We do it slightly different (elbows more at eye level and shoulders up as if shrugging). I wouldn't totally discount it as an escape from a bear hug, works for me against a non-compliant partner (angry sibling ). Yes it is a problem as their arms do end up in that region but you have to take the opportunity to strike them or get out before they can get you.

Although obviously the best defense is not to let them grab you in the first place

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmurray wrote:
We were just practicing bear hugs and discussing the bunkai of the first techniques in Naihanchi Nidan last night. This is a defense against a bear hug but seems far from perfect. Proper form is bending at the knees and dropping your weight down and raising your elbows only as high as your shoulders. This frees up your arms and hands but realistically in practice it left the attackers clasped arms around your head or neck. I think in theory the kata supposes you are superior to your opponent and you'll be in the clear if you're able to mobilize your hands and start the next technique. Or maybe the theory is your attacker will give up his grip once you start to give him the slip. I think in a real mismatch with a large attacker you might be making your situation worse. Being in a bear hug is bad and can lead down an ugly path, but it is still safer than being in a rear choke and possibly going to sleep. I think maybe the only real defense a small woman has against a bear hug from a large male is never letting it begin. Manage your personal space and run away when you need to.

You make a good point, however you don't just stand there and let the guy grab you around the neck. As I said earlier, your jut out your butt which breaks your opponents center of gravity while executing the technique. If done properly yoru opponent will be worried about hitting the floor more than grabbing around your neck. The next technique of the kata (assuming you do it the same as we do)your arm comes up thru his arms and forces them apart.

As I've stated many times on many threads, it's easier to demonstrate than to write down.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do what I would refer to as elbow strikes after the initial movement. They are referred to as punches over the shoulder, but I prefer the elbow strikes coming back. Also, if one of those arms are still up there, then you can grab that arm using that elbow strike/punching motion, and work from there.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If every attempt at escape has failed, your not done yet.
A person is not going to stand there all night with you in a bear hug. Remember both his arms are tied up to, he will have to make a move and that might be your chance to get out.
If he has friends, try to use your legs to keep them at bay but at sometime is grip will loosen and be ready for it.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINCH!!!!!!!!!!!! With all of your might... Presumably, if your arms are pinned by your sides, your handsshould be near the attachers thigh or groin. PINCH!!!!

Also - if they are stronger than you and will lift you, either use 'dead weight' or flail wildly (one of the two), where you just let your muscles go and flop, its couterintuitive, and may not make them let go, but certainly makes it more difficult to keep a hold!

I do agree with other posters though. Compliant Uke, the rear bear hug being a bad psition for an attacker etc.. But still, if it does happen, use anything you can.

april
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends who used to be in the army told me to grab and pull one of the fingers. Pinky finger is best because it's the easiest finger. Once you pull the finger back, it will cause a lot of pain and they will let go. I tried it on one of my big guy friends and he let go very quickly.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this exact defense in our seisan bunkai as well. The short version is you cup your hand into a "koken" (ie, bend your fingers at the first knuckle to 90 degrees), then swing the arm forward enough to get a little space -- you don't need much, then swing the arm backwards like a pendulum, striking the opponent with the koken in the groin.

There's a video of it here at about the 2 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2uBCcX3v4I. One of the keys is to not let the opponent get the grab completely in. Once you feel the arms start to go around you, strike hard. Someone isn't going to grab you for kicks -- if they're doing a bear hug from behind they probably mean to hurt you.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent point and I don't want to take away from the good, real self-defense discussion.

However, I recently saw a video on this topic where the person suggesting just pooping yourself. It was a joke but, I mean, would you want to hold on to someone that had just pooped themselves? Seems pretty effective to me.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
That's an excellent point and I don't want to take away from the good, real self-defense discussion.

However, I recently saw a video on this topic where the person suggesting just pooping yourself. It was a joke but, I mean, would you want to hold on to someone that had just pooped themselves? Seems pretty effective to me.
Now that's an extreme circumstance! If you've got one loaded, that is....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: