Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RobertAslin2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: American Ed Parker Kenpo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: How to improve kicking Reply with quote

Howdy, y'all!
Some of y'all may know that I've been working on sandblasting the rust off after a hiatus. During that time some of my kicks have collected so much dust that I don't feel comfortable showing them off - my side kick and my tornado kick in particular.
Because I've also picked up kenpo I now have a tendancy to aim my front kicks to the groin or bladder, my side kicks to the knee or bladder, and have almost completely neglected my round kicks.
While training without a dojo, I've managed to get my front kicks to just about head-height, and my round kicks to high chest height, but my side kicks have still suffered, as well as my tornado kicks.
I recorded myself performing Might for Right, and about the only things I didn't like (seeing as it had been years since I first learned MFR) were those two kicks.
How do I improve, KF? Should I do the Jhoon Rhee daily dozen twice instead of once?
"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." - Ed Parker

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that if you had them down at one point, you should be able to get them back with practice. I recommend that you work on some basic drills and exercises, and work your way up! No sense straining anything.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get your kicks higher, you need to make the muscles stronger and flexible. The strength part can be done doing kicks using a chair or wall for balance, and doing the kicks slowly, with a five second count out, a lockout and hold, and then a five second count back. Also, don't underestimate the benefits of doing barbell squats, either.

If you keep working on the techniques and stretching, then the height of your kicks should start coming back up.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing leg lifts in 4 different directions (recommended by my physical therapist.) Just 20'ish a day in each direction 3 or 4 days a week has helped A LOT!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Wallace will get you back in to great kicking shape. Here is one of many to get you going again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQjYSCkJV4

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. My kicks suffered badly after a foot injury. Even after I resumed training, it's taken me months to start getting them back. It's not through lack of flexibility or strength of the big muscles that we all focus on. It took me a while to realise, it's because my feet became weak. After my injury, without realising, I was compensating with how I loaded my feet. Consequently they went weak because all the little often neglected muscles were not doing much. Since realising this, I've been doing strength exercises every day specifically focusing on the muscles that support the arches, the muscles that operate the toes, and everything around my ankles. Slowly my feet are starting to respond better, and my stability and accuracy is coming back.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
To get your kicks higher, you need to make the muscles stronger and flexible. The strength part can be done doing kicks using a chair or wall for balance, and doing the kicks slowly, with a five second count out, a lockout and hold, and then a five second count back. Also, don't underestimate the benefits of doing barbell squats, either.

If you keep working on the techniques and stretching, then the height of your kicks should start coming back up.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Bill Wallace will get you back in to great kicking shape. Here is one of many to get you going again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQjYSCkJV4

I like this too!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: