Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jesi Boy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: How To Look Sharp for Competition Reply with quote

One factor that makes a kata good, is its sharpness.

Sharp katas can be very impressive, and sharpness is usually what separates a bad kata from a good kata.

My definition of sharpness is: the product of different elements of your kata working in conjunction with each other. It isn’t so much one specific thing.

It is very hard to describe what a sharp kata actually looks like.

Sharpness is pretty much to do with the speed of your kata, but it isn’t everything.

To get your katas looking sharp, you need to have these elements of your kata down packed.

Technique

You can have speed, but your kata will not look sharp if it doesn’t have good technique.

To have a sharp kata, all you’re your stances need to be at the right length and width, your punches need to be straight (depending on the technique), your “hikite” hand needs to be pulled back… come to think of it, pretty everything your sensei is constantly nagging you about!

So to have a sharp kata, you need to make sure you have good technique.

Balance

Balance is essential for every kata.

A kata will never be good, sharp or strong unless you have good balance. This is the same for sharpness.

Stopping

To have a sharp kata, you need to make sure that after you have completed a series of movements, everything stops at the same time and there is no movement afterwards.

Take Rika Usami’s kata for example (the one in the list above). After her very first fast movement of the kata, everything stops at the same time. She doesn’t do the technique then hit the stance, or adjust her feet once she stops, or drop into her stance a little bit lower afterwards.

Theoretically, this point comes under technique, but I wanted to explain it in more detail.

Strength

Your kata needs to be strong, but not too strong that it is affecting your speed and technique.

Strength is probably the least important element of sharpness, since the sharpness of a kata is mainly to do with speed.

However, a little bit of strength is required to increase your speed, as well helping with balance.

Speed

As I mentioned before, speed plays a big role in producing a sharp kata. You can have all of the things mentioned above, but speed is what really makes a sharp kata.

Speed is what makes your kata impressive, and if you have good technique, balance and strength, the speed will stand out and make your kata look sharp.

If you improve on these elements, you will find that your Kata’s will start becoming a lot sharper.

Not only that, but you will find that your kata starts improving as a whole.

Hopefully this has helped.

If you disagree with any of these points or have any suggestions, please let me know in the comment section.

Also, go check out my blog. You can find the link in my profile.

Cheers!

-Jesi Boy

Last edited by Jesi Boy on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you're speaking of competition.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defenition of sharpness depends on the person who is observing the kata. Competition judges usually have very clear criteria for evaluating kata and in some cases they are judging a kata from a system they do not train in or have insufficient experience practising.

A karate expert with decades of experience teaching and training in one system will have a much different idea of how said systems kata ought to be practised. The way a kata is done will demonstrate how well and how much it is understood by the subtle details only such an expert has the eyes and experience to catch.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I gave my self a few days to consider this post so as not to be hasty in my reply. I tried to see things from the perspective of sports Karate. So here goes.

Sharpness is cosmetic and serves no purpose in the study of the arts. This is a modern way of practicing or performing the Kata and was not something that had any importance to those that created the Kata or practiced them for the purpose of defense.

My Shinshii's Kata could not in a million years be considered as Sharp. There was no theatrical pauses, no intentional snappy, cracky techniques, no flashy mind blowing flips, spins or gravity defying kicks. Just technically executed actual techniques.

Having said that I realize that you are speaking of performing the Kata in a tournament setting. I still find no purpose in pimping out the Kata.

Well I didn't do too well but at least I thought about it before posting this time. I did however use terminology that's hip today.

I'm just not a sports Karate kinda guy and not a fan of the tactic's. Sorry.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The defenition of sharpness depends on the person who is observing the kata. Competition judges usually have very clear criteria for evaluating kata and in some cases they are judging a kata from a system they do not train in or have insufficient experience practising.

A karate expert with decades of experience teaching and training in one system will have a much different idea of how said systems kata ought to be practised. The way a kata is done will demonstrate how well and how much it is understood by the subtle details only such an expert has the eyes and experience to catch.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

GojuRyu Bahrain
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Kobudo, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Ok, I gave my self a few days to consider this post so as not to be hasty in my reply. I tried to see things from the perspective of sports Karate...

Following a wise example here, I waited a bit, too, to avoid frantic rambling ..

Obviously (to me, not a sports guy), a good Kata performance requires a thorough understanding of its content. With content, I am referring to applications, tactics and strategies 'stored' in the Kata, knowledge of which all is required for proper execution of the form.

From a tournament/show perspective, I guess that rhythm is very important; how to do the slow parts slow and the fast parts fast, and how and when to do the tempo changes between.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRACTICE!!

Without knowledge, the dull blade remains, but with knowledge, the blade is sharpen...IN TIME!! Familiarity is a vital ingredient to the understanding of EVERYTHING that encompasses the Kata; knowledge and experience are the hallmarks of quality.

Unless one practices with resolve until the end of time, the dullness will remain!! How one trains is how one fights!! Train in a haphazard way, then one will move in a haphazard manner!!

Everything must be trained with a quality of purpose of one mind and body and soul; otherwise, just sit down, and stay down!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition or not, one of the things that stands out for me is posture. Especially during kiba dachi/horse stance. People tend to lean forward and/or to the side. And stick their butt out.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Competition or not, one of the things that stands out for me is posture. Especially during kiba dachi/horse stance. People tend to lean forward and/or to the side. And stick their butt out.

Yep...I see that a lot and I deduct accordingly without haste!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: