Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blacknebula
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: How to relearn something you've been doing wrong Reply with quote

At training on Monday night one of the Sempais corrected me on something in one of the early Heian katas. Nothing major, just a case of having my fist oriented 90 degrees to where it should be (I had palm facing towards me and it was supposed to be facing down). However, I've now been doing this incorrectly for almost 2 years and even though I now know the way my fist should be, the muscle memory keeps putting it the other way and then I remember and switch. Beyond just doing it a billion times the right way, is there anything I can do to extinguish the incorrect response more quickly?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak with your Chief Instructor, either in private or on the floor, and than do what she/he instructs you to do. Please be respectful but be direct at the same time. Nothing worse than having a Sempai correct/change what the Chief Instructor is teaching.

Btw, in which Heian, and in which movement is the Sempai concerned with?

blacknebula
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I've double checked with several different people including my Sensei and I was definitely doing it wrong! It is not a question of the different instructors contradicting each other. Even my husband (who is three belt levels below me) just said "Yeah, I knew that," when I told him about it after class. I just need to figure out how to undo something that has now become habit.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice and be conscious of what your doing and ask one of the instructors to keep an extra eye on you. I've been through this, we all have at one time or other, it won't take long to correct this.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd that no-one has picked you up on that before but at least you know now

In my style things often get changed and corrected as different masters decide that we're going to do something a particular way from now on. I just try to make a mental note of what I need to change before I start my form and then consciously force myself to do it the correct way when I come to that bit. It may not be completely seamless to start with but eventually you'll ingrain it and it'll become natural.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Dave wrote:
Practice and be conscious of what your doing and ask one of the instructors to keep an extra eye on you. I've been through this, we all have at one time or other, it won't take long to correct this.

Solid post!! Sometimes, habits are hard to break, but not impossible.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: How to relearn something you've been doing wrong Reply with quote

"At training on Monday night one of the Sempais corrected me on something in one of the early Heian katas. Nothing major, just a case of having my fist oriented 90 degrees to where it should be (I had palm facing towards me and it was supposed to be facing down). However, I've now been doing this incorrectly for almost 2 years and even though I now know the way my fist should be, the muscle memory keeps putting it the other way and then I remember and switch. Beyond just doing it a billion times the right way, is there anything I can do to extinguish the incorrect response more quickly?"

Don't worry it can be done - It's just going to take a little time - I've got students who have 30 years in other Martial Arts - Its not easy to undo something or change to something else - But again it can be done. I had 10 years experience in other arts - Boxing - Karate - and when I started Kung Fu - had to unlearn and relearn many things. Oh! just one thing - make sure the Sempai is doing it correctly - go to the main source if you can.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

work through the application and reason for the way it is done in your head and every time you get to that point in the Kata imagine your opponent and your striking him right....again, which move and which Heian?

blacknebula
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is slowly getting better - I do it correctly sometimes now, if I'm at medium speed. Still make the mistake when I'm doing it full speed. It is actually in several kata - Yondan, Godan and Bassai Dai. The part where you do an elbow strike into the palm of the opposite hand. The inside hand doesn't actually really do anything, so it is difficult to visualize an application. I just have to remember that it is like a kagi-zuki (hook punch).

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to relearn something you've been doing wrong Reply with quote

blacknebula wrote:
At training on Monday night one of the Sempais corrected me on something in one of the early Heian katas. Nothing major, just a case of having my fist oriented 90 degrees to where it should be (I had palm facing towards me and it was supposed to be facing down). However, I've now been doing this incorrectly for almost 2 years and even though I now know the way my fist should be, the muscle memory keeps putting it the other way and then I remember and switch. Beyond just doing it a billion times the right way, is there anything I can do to extinguish the incorrect response more quickly?

We learn new things all the time. Relearning things isn't much different. Just spend time working the reps to get the change in your mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: