Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sparky
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: How to train to be an instructor Reply with quote

Hi all,
First I should say that I am a brown belt. I am also 26 years old. The only female instructor at our dojo is leaving in about a week. My dojo has a policy that only black belts are allowed to be instructors.

My head instructor is looking at me as a potential replacement for her. Any tips on what I can do to prepare? As only a brown, there would probably need to be a black belt instructor there as well. I could then work as an assistant.

Rachael

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most begin learning how to teach under the supervison of someone with experience teaching.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sparky! Sounds like an excellent opportunity for you. Let me ask you this: Do you already help out in classes with the lower belts, i.e, helping with techniques, kata, etc.? Most schools require this of lower belt levels for just this reason. It is to prepare you to become an instructor-to be able to pass on the art as it was taught to you. You can use this as a base for developing your own teaching style. It is a good idea to find a role model at first, mimic their style, and then build on it. Lastly, it' not the belt color that makes the instructor, it's the person wearing it. They would not ask you to step up if they did not think you were capable of the task. Good luck!!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to keep in mind.

1. Only teach what you know well. Espically when starting out don't try and teach to much to soon. Stick with the basics and be solid with them. Be able to do them and explain them. Differant applications for each. Its better to know a few things really well than a lot of thing not very well.

2. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you not sure about a techinque then ask the main teacher. No shame. Also remember you will not be far removed fromt hose you are teaching and they may teach you a few things so be open to their imput.

3. Biggest thing is to be confortable when speaking and doing things in front of others. Be confident in yourself and the others will have faith in you as a result.

Good luck

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

help one of the other instructors and see how they teach class. i am only a green belt and i already help my instructor. so that should help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I started helping out at my TSD school at green belt. Same with this school. It helps to teach others, because you get a different view of what you have learned. It helps you better understand certian things, also. I love teaching.

When I teach a newbie, I start out slow by showing them a technique slow, and explain it to them. Then I have them try. I tweak their technique, so they get a feel for it, then have them try a few more times.

The key with beginners is not to get frustrated with them. You will be teaching them to make their body do something weird and akward. It will take awhile for it to sink in (it did with most people I have taught anyways). Patience

*mArTiAl_GiRl*
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Wu Shu(Kung-Fu), Tai Chi, Hapkido

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, try to explain things philosophically to give them the 'true and real' feeling of The Way of the style you teach them. Listen, a true and a good instructor doesn't fear anything nor is she or he feared.

Budderfly
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our SWAT (Instructors) team used to use the methods of "Praise, Correct. Praise" But we replaced it with "Praise & Raise the bar". What I mean by this is if you see a student kicking average height and not pointing their toes, tell them, "That looks good, but if you want to make it better, point your toes and see if you can go higher"

Our instructor's creed is:

1. I will teach this class as if it is the most important class I will ever teach.
2. I am patient and enthusiastic
3. I will lead by example.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: