Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: How to use a bamboo tree in place of makiwara? Reply with quote

I’m in Hawaii, on the big island. I’m amazed at how many bamboo trees are around and I love training on them. Punching, knife hands and 3 point arm training is just about all I can come up with. I’ve been doing yoga early in the mornings and karate later in the day which had looked something like this:

- Sanchin 1-3x
- striking/3 Point arm training on bamboo tree
- stretching and meditation

What are your thoughts on the bamboo? Any advice, and does anyone NOT approve? Either way, I’m having a blast!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with it, once it splits it will cut you to the bone.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've never heard of anyone using bamboo, except yourself; quite intriguing. My entire life I've not seen any bamboo big enough to ever use as a makiwara; bamboo I've seen are no bigger than a broom stick.

Bulltahr mentions something important that I believe should be kept in mind. Maybe, and I'm just speculating, if thick/dense padding over it might allow the safety factor apply.

Does the bamboo have the same or near same characteristics of a traditional makiwara?? I'd imagine that the taller the bamboo, the less the characteristics remain...kind of much more wobbly causing the return/bounce-back lessen as it gets taller. I guess that depends on how big the bamboo is at its base, circumference wise, that is.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like sensei8, I have doubts about the functionality of the bamboo as a makiwara. I do suspect it would work as something like an ude-makiwara or tou for conditioning, though. You will definitely want to be cautious of splitting, as previously mentioned. I don't know of anyone who uses it for that purpose, explicitly, but I know some people who have used pieces of bamboo to fashion "arms" for training dummies, and it seems to work okay. If you want a makiwara, I would build a proper one.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: