Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: How would have MMA evolved...if the GI was still allowed. Reply with quote

I was thinking about the sport of MMA, I love it dearly...I've never been a "traditional" martial artist, i've fought in more sport oriented martial arts till now....most of my training consist of no-gi jiu jitsu and muay thai

As of recently, I've picked up karate, and i've found this burning desire to get into knockdown/kyokushin style karate bouts...and i've started to research it and study it, so I could adapt muay thai to it partialy....and i noticed some things:

The typical MMA fighter, is a hybrid of a Muay Thai striker and a no-gi,
BJJ grappler OR wrestler...not all, but this seems to be the majority of them.

Now, tradtionaly, 99% martial artist, train in, and compete in gi's, obviously, MMA fighters do not...because well, you can't wear them in compition here in the states.

But as I was stating early, i've been watching A LOT kyokushin bouts. I noticed that the fighters use the gi a lot for grabs while striking, they use it against their opponents. How much of game a changer is this with striking? the same goes for judo, so many judo techniques and throws can't be done because you can't wear the Gi.

I guess what i'm asking is, would we see more Oyama style karate fighters and judo stylist if the gi was required in MMA? What other styles, stratagies and technques do you think would be changed?

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be more Kyokushin strikers for sure, but one thing that denotes the most effective MMA strikers is that they are headhunters and the Muay Thai/Boxing stylists would STILL have an advantage there.

Grappling is where things would get REALLY different.

The collar chokes, Judo throws, and modified gripping would all make a huge impact on the game.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like MMA, Daido Juku "Kudo" is where you should go, it's Kyokushin meets Judo and it's all full contact, YouTube it cant add any links via this phone

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
If you like MMA, Daido Juku "Kudo" is where you should go, it's Kyokushin meets Judo and it's all full contact, YouTube it cant add any links via this phone

I've seen that! it looks like great fun! I also find that would be more realistic in a street fight.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think much would be different at all. Eventually, as more people learned jiu-jitsu, more gi submissions would be learned. Now the person with no gi would be at the advantage. So, overtime, everyone would have shed the gi anyway.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were optional, I don't think anyone would wear it. Many traditional BJJ and Judo guys shed the gi before it was required.

However, if the gi were mandatory, the striking game would change some and the grappling would be more slow and controlled, with less flurries of strikes. I think striking on the ground would end fights with less damage done, as it is easier to control someone well enough with a gi that strikes can no longer be defended- thus ending the fight with less hits landed.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days of the UFC, Royce Gracie, who did wear a gi, used the opponents gi, should they have one on, against them quite effectively.

Also, those same early days of the UFC, weight divisions didn't exist, albeit, that's more accurate as to how it might be on the streets, and because of that, it's possible that MMA isn't a style of the MA afterall, and it's nothing more than boxing extreme....maybe?!?!

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More throws, less ground striking and the clinch would be modified and harder to get out of.

and it might be called Comabat Sambo......

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Also, those same early days of the UFC, weight divisions didn't exist, albeit, that's more accurate as to how it might be on the streets, and because of that, it's possible that MMA isn't a style of the MA afterall, and it's nothing more than boxing extreme....maybe?!?!

Under that criteria, no MA exist outside of military and police action and haven't since the gladiators. Anything with rules, weight classes, limit of number of fighters, divisions based on experience, divisions on gender, no weapons, ect, can't be true martial arts.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I wholeheartedly concur with you MP. I don't just fault MMA, I fault them all. If they win in any type of tournament, shouting to the roof tops that their this and that is and has everything and is effective over everyone else, they start believing their own press.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: