Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you attack in a self defence situation? Reply with quote

alwayssummerdays 2 wrote:
If yuo were attacked by an unarmed opponent and had to defend yourself, how would you?

I've been wondering about this because I don't think punches to the face would cut it,I'm wondering about the fastest way to take someone down to the point where you can escape.

I'd be all over them like a spider monkey.

In all seriousness, as mentioned, way too many variables. My mindset though is you do whatever is necessary to survive.

judobrah
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testicules strikes is the way to go

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bushido_man96"][quote="JusticeZero"]Now, just recently, this same guy had a situation pop up that was similar; this time, he didn't wait, as he precieved an imenent threat; he trounced the guy, suddenly, catching him unawares. He didn't get beat down this time; instead, he ended up being arrested and charged with a felony.
[quote]

A good example of the flipside of all of the above.
Its a had thing to train for what I would call "middle ground self defence".

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We teach the self defense striking priority as eyes, throat, groin.

Even the lightest touch to the eyes causes someone to react - their hands go right to their eyes making for an easy escape.

A strike or pushing into the throat causes people to react, caught, sputter buying time for escape.

The groin is good to for obvious reasons but many guys learn on the school playground to protect this area well. Believe it or not, of the three, this is the easiest area to fight through.

An important point to get across in self defense it to just do something. Don't get so hung up on what that something is that you don't react. Start hitting, clawing biting... what ever and buy you time to escape.
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judobrah wrote:

I disagree. Adrenaline can over power the bulk of the pain from a strike to the testicles, in which case all you've managed to do is anger the attacker even more and make them more determined to attack you. A better thing would be to go for the throat.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
judobrah wrote:

I disagree. Adrenaline can over power the bulk of the pain from a strike to the testicles, in which case all you've managed to do is anger the attacker even more and make them more determined to attack you. A better thing would be to go for the throat.

Im sure that there is some truth to this, however it greatly depends on the individual. I have seen countless mma fighters, who are very well conditioned athletes who are used to getting him, fold up like an accordian due to one well placed, all be it unintentional low blow.

That being sad, eyes and throat are both great targets if you absolutely must escape from a situation.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="yamesu"][quote="bushido_man96"][quote="JusticeZero"]Now, just recently, this same guy had a situation pop up that was similar; this time, he didn't wait, as he precieved an imenent threat; he trounced the guy, suddenly, catching him unawares. He didn't get beat down this time; instead, he ended up being arrested and charged with a felony.
Quote:

A good example of the flipside of all of the above.
Its a had thing to train for what I would call "middle ground self defence".

Its an example of how learning things like how many people will posture to be tough, and what to look for in the differences between someone posturing, and an eminent attack. As well as environmental awareness and the like.

I don't think trying to teach "middle ground self-defense" is the answer, either. That will just end up getting someone hurt at the other end of the spectrum. The main thing is making sure self-defense training is all-encompassing, dealing with not only the physical attacks, but the events and situations that lead up to them.

adolf84
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

my style is usually... hit and run if i think i cant won, but if i think the opponent is easy to beat, ill kick him up..

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with attacking the knee. It doesn't take much to snap a knee and even if the attacker is still determined to kick the crap out of you, you should be able to outrun them at that point. Groin, throat, eyes, spine, and the area behind the ears are all other alternatives. Generally speaking though, the knee is often the easiest target as an attacker is less likely to expect an attack for the lower body than one for the upper body. Plus if they're coming after you, chances are they're larger than you and thus reaching up for the head area might not be the best idea in terms of range.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with a thumb to an eye or two. Next, I would try a groin strike, and finish it off with a kick or two to the big nerve in the side of the thigh. Unless they train muay thai that should keep them in pain for enough time to escape or find an improvised weapon.

-VTM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: