Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

alwayssummerdays 2
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: How would you attack in a self defence situation? Reply with quote

If yuo were attacked by an unarmed opponent and had to defend yourself, how would you?

I've been wondering about this because I don't think punches to the face would cut it,I'm wondering about the fastest way to take someone down to the point where you can escape.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several answers for that question, the best advice I can give you is if you have the money and the time, to find a quality instructor. cause there is no end all move really. punches to the face can take down an opponent pretty effectively. but so can throws, sweeps, throat attacks.. maybe you can tell me a little more of what you're looking for??

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, I usually try to get the person on the ground and then run. But if someone tried to punch me, I'd always go to the outside. It's just natural to me, not to mention it's harder for them to attack again if you go to the outside. If an adult tried to punch me, I'd block to the outside and then punch to the ribs and then the face and then run. If a kid tried to punch me (I have been working in middle school most of the time) I'd probably block to the outside and then try to get them in some sort of arm-bar over a desk or something until another teacher can help me control them. Not saying any of that would work and I'd guess I'd have to wing it if it doesn't, but from what I've learned so far those are my best moves.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a big question. One that has far to many variables to answer with an easy catagory.

There is what kind of attack, your surroundings, the intensity and intent of the attack, enviornmental concerns, and not the least of them you're own skill set and abilities.

Even if you favor one particular thing, the mere angle of attack might take you in a different direction. The other individuals skill might outweigh yours in a given area, making you change your game plan midway thorough the assult.

Again, big question.

Sokusen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as target areas go the most bang for your buck would be, eyes, throat, groin, and knees not necessarily in that order. But what strikes to use to attack those target areas....way too many variables to really get a good answer.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone mentioned, a lot of factors depend on this - whether the attack is from the front or behind, etc. My first goal would be to disable them to get them to the floor. That would or could involve: 1) breaking their fall / blowing out their knees 2) eye pokes/gouges 3) cut off oxygen/windpipe 3) Groin attack

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, there are definitely too many factors to just state a standard response. There are so many things that play into how one would respond. A single punch to the face may not drop the person, but it may be enough to get them to back off. It depends in large part on their intent, and their state of mind.

Ultimately, my goal would be to create an opening for me to get out of the situation safely, but how I would go about that would depend on the situation. That may or may not even require "throwing a punch" at all if the situation can be diffused without violence. If a physical response is required, it could range from a simple punch to something more drastic such as breaking joints, depending on the level of force necessary to remove myself safely.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the black belts in my class asked me & my one-step defense partner what we would do in a self defense situation... without thinking i said it depends if i have time to grab a handful of dirt. I don't think he cared for my answer and i quickly blurted out groin shot, throat, or eyes. this was not a conversation that the entire class was listening to, nor was my answer intended for everyone to hear.

On the ride home I thought what was wrong with my answer? If I'm involved in a situation where someone is forcing me to defend myself i think I would go for the sucker punch if i can get it. Is that wrong? If some guy is acting in an aggressive manner and decides to turn and look to the side, why shouldn't I take that opportunity to take a shot? If I get shoved down, why shouldn't I grab a handful of dirt, throw it at him and attack?

Thoughts?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, there are a lot of "what-ifs" here that we don't know. But, there is one thing that you can fill in. Once you decide that it is time to defend yourself, you must committ to it, and then procede to overwhelm that person until they realize what a bad idea it was for them in the first place. Then, once you have overwhelmed them, make sure you don't switch roles and then end up becoming the attacker. If they desist, allow them to do so. But once you start, there is no half-way.

My DT buddy uses this line a lot, for when it is necessary to defend oneself in a court of law when using force in defense of self or others:

Question: "How hard did you hit him?"
Answer: "As hard as I could."
Question: "Why did you hit him so hard?"
Answer: "So I wouldn't have to hit him again."

Ideally, that's the way it plays out. Now, not a lot of situations are going to come down to a one-hit wonder, but this idea I have above still holds true. Hit 'em as hard as you can. If they don't stop, you hit 'em again, as hard as you can. Fight to survive.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoGiant wrote:
One of the black belts in my class asked me & my one-step defense partner what we would do in a self defense situation... without thinking i said it depends if i have time to grab a handful of dirt. I don't think he cared for my answer and i quickly blurted out groin shot, throat, or eyes. this was not a conversation that the entire class was listening to, nor was my answer intended for everyone to hear.

On the ride home I thought what was wrong with my answer? If I'm involved in a situation where someone is forcing me to defend myself i think I would go for the sucker punch if i can get it. Is that wrong? If some guy is acting in an aggressive manner and decides to turn and look to the side, why shouldn't I take that opportunity to take a shot? If I get shoved down, why shouldn't I grab a handful of dirt, throw it at him and attack?

Thoughts?

That's an excellent answer. Nobody should have any time for anything resembling politeness or fair play in a self-defense situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: