Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I accept that age isn't necessarily a barrier to teaching (within reason). In some traditions age is an important 'process' when it comes to the principles of movement / stratagems and the on-going transmission of the system.

'Learn from the old masters'

I used to hear this a lot when I was younger, but didn't really get it until I was a little older.

When we are young and athletic we have the ability to perform techniques with speed, strength and agility etc.. Unfortunately, these assets erode with age and have to be replaced with experience and efficiency through technique. Only through on going training can one achieve this metamorphoses. Instructors in this respect are like a bottle of fine wine, they get better with age.

Beyond the assumed translation of teacher, the word 'sensei' means more literally - 'one who has gone before', so in other words he or she has walked the path (or is a little further down it than you).

It's also worth noting that in many classical Koryu traditions, Menkyo Keiden (or the top license required for transmission) was not awarded to anyone under the age of 45.

Getting to 45 in feudal Japan was quite a challenge!!!

K.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a Sith deals in absolutes....

In all seriousness this has surely got to be something you look at on a case-by-case basis? To say "I'm not learning from anyone under the age of 25" might mean you miss out on something great.

Fictional (but probably not uncommon) scenario: suppose a young school owner had parents that also ran a school and had their kid at the dojo every day. That person may have been training since 4 or 5, and assisting in classes from age 14 or 15 every day after school. If they then decided to open another location down the road aged 18, more power to them. They've probably had a lot more actual teaching experience than a 40 year old teacher who picked Karate up as a hobby in his 30s.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a specific age requirement to consider an instructor acceptable and credible doesn't make much sense. There are much more important factors to consider.

In theory and hypothetically a younger person could be a better and more experienced teacher than someone older, but the fact of the matter is that most people, especially men, will find it more difficult to accept being taught by someone much younger than themselves.

A teacher of any kind is a position of high responsibility and authority over other people. A person I that position ought to have the moral character and mental maturity to handle it. Without this one is unfit to teach whether one is 20 or 50

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running their own class I would like to say at least 21, reason for this is a previous club that I was with gave me my own class at 17, I was no where near ready. To start with all I was doing was filling in for the instructor, but the instructor never came back... I didn't stay with the club much longer than that. But it really is dependent on the individual I guess...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason for age when it comes to instruction. Maturity is a huge factor, along with the knowledge that comes along with years of training. Knowledge is not just based on the memorization of techniques and application. It also the comprehensive understanding of how these techniques and applications are applied, when to apply and how to apply them. It is also understanding how to get the material you are teaching across to others in a way they can understand.

My art holds no knowledge back from students as they learn but many arts hold back "deadly" techniques or even the actual meaning of the Kata. I know this to be true because I have studied other arts. So how then can an instructor of say 16 years old instruct when they have not been taught the deeper meaning of the art or it's true intent if you will?

I agree that age doesn't have everything to do with being an instructor but I personally feel that it has everything to do with being a well rounded, I'd even go so far as to say good, instructor.

Again my personal opinion but I'd rather learn from an instructor with 20 years + under his/her belt than a 19 year old that can perform all of the techniques with ease but has little understanding of why they are teaching them. Age equals years and it takes years to develop the knowledge and understanding of what the techniques and applications are and how, when and why they are used.

That and youth equals utilization of strength and speed and basically ignoring proper technique. Things are forced and not necessarily correct.

Over the years I have come to realize that I am better than I was as a youth. No I can't do the splits anymore, my strength has reduced along with my speed but I've come to realize that proper technique and true understanding of the applications makes me a better fighter and a far better teacher.

My Shinshii while teaching was at the young age of 84 and was living proof that technique concurred youth, strength and speed. For me give me a crusty old Shinshii with the wisdom to understand the deeper meaning and proper technique over a young athletic one any day of the week.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructor's personal physical abilities really don't mean much. I want a teacher that can break down my strengths and weaknesses and help me fix them. Strengths and weaknesses in technique and strategy. A teacher who can do a flawless kata, splits, jumping flying kicks, etc. does nothing beyond entertain me and gives me the line (cue kid's voice) "my sensei can beat up your sensei."

What's the minimum age? A mature, responsible, knowledgeable, and experienced adult. There are some that can probably pull that off at around 20 years old, but they're truly the exception.

Experience means a lot. My former sensei turned 30 my second year training. He was quite a good teacher and physically the best MAist I've been around. My current teacher is 63, and needs hip replacement for the 3rd time. My current teacher is a far better teacher due to his experience (he been in karate longer than my previous sensei was alive at the time I was there) and maturity that comes with being older. I didn't realize the age and experience level meant as much as it did when I was training under my former sensei, who was a yondan at the time.

As a CI, the more (quality) experience and maturity the better. As an assistant instructor, less is acceptable. I wouldn't miss me taking classes from a 20 year old assistant semi-regularly. Everyone has something to teach, or a different perspective. But I wouldn't solely take that person's class under most normal circumstances. Someone like Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's son who was training in and out of the dojo since he could walk and was assisting his father from an early age would be an exception if he was my CI at 20 or so. Same for any other legendary teacher's child who's done the same. But again, they're extremely few and far between.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
The instructor's personal physical abilities really don't mean much. I want a teacher that can break down my strengths and weaknesses and help me fix them. Strengths and weaknesses in technique and strategy. A teacher who can do a flawless kata, splits, jumping flying kicks, etc. does nothing beyond entertain me and gives me the line (cue kid's voice) "my sensei can beat up your sensei."

What's the minimum age? A mature, responsible, knowledgeable, and experienced adult. There are some that can probably pull that off at around 20 years old, but they're truly the exception.

Experience means a lot. My former sensei turned 30 my second year training. He was quite a good teacher and physically the best MAist I've been around. My current teacher is 63, and needs hip replacement for the 3rd time. My current teacher is a far better teacher due to his experience (he been in karate longer than my previous sensei was alive at the time I was there) and maturity that comes with being older. I didn't realize the age and experience level meant as much as it did when I was training under my former sensei, who was a yondan at the time.

As a CI, the more (quality) experience and maturity the better. As an assistant instructor, less is acceptable. I wouldn't miss me taking classes from a 20 year old assistant semi-regularly. Everyone has something to teach, or a different perspective. But I wouldn't solely take that person's class under most normal circumstances. Someone like Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's son who was training in and out of the dojo since he could walk and was assisting his father from an early age would be an exception if he was my CI at 20 or so. Same for any other legendary teacher's child who's done the same. But again, they're extremely few and far between.
I wouldn't want a Sensei brat teaching me, unless their power tripping ego was left at home, safely locked up inside the trophy case collection.

Other than that little glitch; if the class is rewarding enough to keep me coming back for more, then age isn't an issue, it might actually be outstanding; but realistically the more knowledgeable the CI is the better.

As CI's are more often than not, over qualified and underpaid for what they do, kids donating their time as a CI'ish teacher, might be the logical option for some dojos, with older kids teaching younger kids; so they can grow together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: