Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Humillation Reply with quote

I think that many times , 创 losing 创 a street fight is worst than the wounds you get. I am talking about ego , self estime , etc....
I remember to be punched by 5 guys, and one of them hitting me when it was unexpected. I dont care to have a black eye , or some scars, even a broken bone ( I do care about a knife in my neck)
I talk about fights where weapons are not involved, many of regular size average guys will attack to your face , specially to the eyes ....Strikes to the chin or nose are not sooo common. Is not very common to get killed or badly injured in regular altercation with unarmed people.
I hate to geat beaten by a guy who I know that could beat in fair conditions.

A friend of mine... a MMA fighter, who is great in thai box and a world class ( former champ) of grappling was attacked with a stone when he was fighting a guy ( the dude磗 friend threw the stone against his nose). He was KOED and went to the hospital that nite. He told me the same I told you , he was angry for the dirty thing they did , not for the wound.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stupid that things like that happen but the fact is that they do and there's nothing we can do about it. Tell your friend "Welcome to the world of street fights, where there is such thing as normal conditions."

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the streets, there are no rules. You just have to deal with it, too. It won't change. That is why it is so dangerous to street fight. There are so many variables that you have to worry about. The rules of the ring do offer a certain halo of protection. In the street, you get no such quarter.

Look at this aspect, as well. Think of the nervous feeling you get right before you get into the ring of competition. Now, think of the feeling that you get when you get jumped, or when guys are talking smack to you, and are about to jump you. For me, these are two different feelings, and these feelings have a major effect on your ability to react and respond. They are not the same, and that is why street fighting is different.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I agree. Street fighting is such a different situation than competition MA- with the rocks and broken bottles and bar stools.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

smckeown
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who was (is) a US Marine.
He was hit from behind in the head with a beer bottle. The bottle did not break like it does in the movies.

I agree things are much differnent in a street altercation.

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of the nervous feeling you get right before you get into the ring of competition. Now, think of the feeling that you get when you get jumped, or when guys are talking smack to you, and are about to jump you. For me, these are two different feelings, and these feelings have a major effect on your ability to react and respond. They are not the same, and that is why street fighting is different.

I have encountered both feelings on a few occasions, and you are correct, they are quite different.
Anybody who think that competitions are the same as the street, they need to rethink.

AikiGuy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: . Aikijutsu, . Goshin Jutsu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
It's stupid that things like that happen but the fact is that they do and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well...most of the time there is nothing you can do. But like many extreme conditions we train for, there are a few things you can try. They may work or they may not work. It's a gamble.

Once when I was a teenager, two guys tried to jump me because one had a grudge against me. When they approached, I said to the one with the grudge "Why do you need help? Can't you fight me alone?" I ducked and dodged for what seemed like 3 minutes (probably only about 30 seconds) while constantly attacking his sense of pride. Finally my psychology paid off. He wanted to prove to everyone how tough he was so he told his friend not to help him. That's all I wanted! He was bigger than me and I did not know any M.A. at that time, but at least it was fair now. We rolled around for a while and I came away with a bloody nose and he had a big knot on his forehead. I didn't mind though because I earned a little respect and I did not end up in the hospital which is probably what would have happened if it was 2 against 1.

Of course, there are many situations that cannot be helped. But many of them do have alternatives that are less painful than others. They are just hard to see in the heat of the moment while fists are flying at you.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say in the US that the biggest problem with humiliation would be if you happen to "win" some street encounter. The humilated guy goes to his car & gets a gun/club/knife/gang of buddies/etc & comes back & kills you with it.

My recommendation for everyone is figure out your manhood before a fight so you don't feel you have to prove it with your fists. Life is too short.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , that is true sometimes.. If a bad guy loses...he can not bear that , and will come again..with some sort of help....
Violence leads to more violence

50inches
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate/MMA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow_Warrior wrote:
Yes , that is true sometimes.. If a bad guy loses...he can not bear that , and will come again..with some sort of help....
Violence leads to more violence

Tell me about it, the other day I got in a fight with 2 guys, I got the better end of it and they looked like they did not dare fight any more as they backed off. In 20 seconds it went from 2 opponets to 15 lol. My ego did not let me run, til the point I got kicked in the groin, then there was not much to do than to run for it, probobley the best thing that could have happend to me, would have been worse if I would have stayed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: