Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Hung gar Kung fu Reply with quote

I didn't see a recent hung gar thread, so I figured it was time for one. It is the only King fu style I have studied to this extent. I've studied a small amount of wing chun and love it though.

Any practitioners? Would be great to get a comprehensive thread going where we could post the different aspects, lineages, and same/different ways of doing things. Would also be great to get into some applications to forms like the classic "tiger crane" form.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hung gar Kung fu Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I didn't see a recent hung gar thread, so I figured it was time for one. It is the only King fu style I have studied to this extent. I've studied a small amount of wing chun and love it though.

Any practitioners? Would be great to get a comprehensive thread going where we could post the different aspects, lineages, and same/different ways of doing things. Would also be great to get into some applications to forms like the classic "tiger crane" form.

I know a little Hung Gar but I have only been training it for 3 years so I don't know much about it,however I do know a lot about wing chun and wing chun and hung gar share a very similar root..very similar. Studying the Hung style has taught me alot about wing chun..and has changed my wing chun in the process for the better..I only know only know gung Gee and the Pole..

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hung gar Kung fu Reply with quote

stonecrusher69 wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

I know a little Hung Gar but I have only been training it for 3 years so I don't know much about it,however I do know a lot about wing chun and wing chun and hung gar share a very similar root..very similar. Studying the Hung style has taught me alot about wing chun..and has changed my wing chun in the process for the better..I only know only know gung Gee and the Pole..

"Gung gee fook fu kuen"? I dont practice that form. Its interesting but i enjoy "tiger crane" much more. I think its because gung gee is much slower paced (probably varying based on schools) and is heavily based on breathing. I really dont see any resemblence in wing chun outsode of maybe forms to an extent but not in application and direct fighting methods. You probably know more then me though since your so heavy into wing chun. Pole form is cool, iv always had a real negitive feeling about weapons. I just dont enjoy weapons like bare hands.

Tiger crane is a great deal of fun for me because its broken into seperate forms technicaly, which make up the one form tiger crane. In this way i can teach small portions in my program and not have to get too involved as im a tang soo do based school. I like the mix though as its not a martial art you see on every corner.

BTW i still want to get heavier into wing chun. There is a guy i was looking at in town and may at some point but he wants 150 a month, and i really dont have that type of money at the moment, hopefully it will happen at some point though. Thanks for sharing sronecrusher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: