Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's disappointing. Sorry to hear that, but glad you've got signed up with Muay Thai!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that stinks. Sorry!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Well here’s a disappointing update. LOL.

Apparently I misunderstood the Sifu. He said he can only accept me as a student if I already had 2 years worth of experience in Hung Gar, specifically.

I thought that was such a bummer! After looking up the next closest Hung Gar place, it’s 5 hours away! Not sure how his school works, but hey, it’s his school. I’m sure it would have been fun.se

I joined a Muay Thai place shortly after the OP.

I rarely think much about instructors who teach under those kind of guidelines because how else is a beginning student suppose to earn that type of experience. Well, not all instructors have the patience to teach beginners, and taking experienced students presents other problems, like, retraining bad muscle memories, which can be more frustrating than teaching new students.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8,

My thoughts exactly! I really would have loved to try Hung Gar. Even though I do and love karate, Kung fu is still awesome and I’ve always wanted to try it. Everyone else around me is BJJ, MMA, TKD or TSD. Hung Gar would have been a great change of pace for me.

I have no clue where his students are coming from, but he’s still open. Good for him.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Sensei8,

My thoughts exactly! I really would have loved to try Hung Gar. Even though I do and love karate, Kung fu is still awesome and I’ve always wanted to try it. Everyone else around me is BJJ, MMA, TKD or TSD. Hung Gar would have been a great change of pace for me.

I have no clue where his students are coming from, but he’s still open. Good for him.

Strange business model but more power to him. I understand and even support his horse stance challenge for beginners. In near future I plan to teach and I want to incorporate a foundation program for the beginners that revolves around boxing foundation+ kung fu stance training as well as yoga.

I also expect to get tons of people losing interest but the point is, the better the foundation which is strength, balance and flexibility, then the ceiling potential of the student is going to be legendary.

Due to recent event that I mentioned, I want my students to be molded in to the ultimate weapon because to be blunt, my town has become dangerous and I would hear stories but few days ago I got a preview of what could have been if I did not stand my ground. Now I see the importance of stance, foundation, aggression on top of technique. Technique falls apart and skill becomes useless if the students body, mind, heart and soul is not molded to an evolved state. The pain of holding a stance and the willpower as well as concentration requires for exertion allows evolution of skill and a solid base line.

With that being said, after this incident, I feel like a beginner again in a different way and I look forward to exploring the deepest aspect of psychology and even developing the mental power to engage in difficult stance training and hopefully developing nerve of Steele.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: