Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things take more effort and understanding to do than others. I think sometimes people confuse EASY TO LEARN with MORE EFFECTIVE.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way,easy to learn is more effective. Let's take for example, a simple shoulder throw. There's a safe way, as practiced in judo, where all you do is throw the person. So I tech the guy how to off balance, fit in and execute the throw. from there, I have him training the throw repeatedly, the same way be it competition or in the street. He is also throwing it against resisting opponents, figuring out the setups from certain positions and executing it.

Now, let's take a more dangerous version, like the version that shuai chiao uses - the arm is turned palm up so that the elbow is against your shoulder. When you bend to throw him, his arm breaks. you work the technique, learn to execute it, BUT, you can't execute it at full speed. Why? because you will break your partners arm. Consequently, you will have to modify it so that you are throwing a safe version, correct?

which way is supposed to be more effective? the latter obviously, as you break the guy's arm. BUT in application, the judo throw is more effective, as he doesn't have to modify to throw it. He conditions his body one way and throws the same way, as opposed to conditioning your body one way, then trying to adapt and throw a different way while under pressure.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points SevenStar but, what some people may assume is complex may not be for certain people or if you study that MA. All those simple or easy or effective techniques usually are found in almost any viable MA. The Judo example for instance is a good example of a technique you will find in many MA's. What I'm trying to say and what you said here is that training something over and over is effective, with a resisting opponent. Also, like you pointed out about some things having to be modified in practice to make them safe. I think that after having many years of doing the same thing over and over that modifying it in an instant will come easy. I would say try techniques that you feel are difficult until you get it right. I know there are times when you get in a clinch or in a situation sparring or what that you can't figure something to do there. That is what having a larger library of techniques comes in handy. If one thing isn't working for you switch it up and do something else. I see too many people trying to muscle their way out of holds that can be broken with a lot less strain. So I encourage everyone to look outside of your own MA and you will find things that will give an edge and keep certain special techniques hidden. Just because you may not be able to figure it out doesn't mean that other won't be able to or already have. I think it scares people to think there may be people out there that look like average Joes that will wipe the floor with most people.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: