Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jmd161
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hak Fu Mun (Black Tiger) Swai Jiao

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Hung Gar stylist wins UFC fight. Reply with quote

Hey everyone thought i'd post this here.

I know how ppl say that Traditional Chinese Martial Arts don't do well in the UFC.People always want proof so here you go.

This was on KFO about "O" Onassis from kwoon when he fought in UFC 7.I thought it would be cool to talk about here with our members.

Here's what "O" himself had to say.

I was doing what I had to in order to win. I didn’t think specifically about any style…and why would I? But Yes, during the stand up portion of the fight I did use some Hung Gar to lay hands on him to set up the takedown.

Besides, if Kung fu means “Hard Work” then everybody is doing KF. Haha.

In 1995, I was the smallest guy in the UFC 7 tourney = 180lbs (at that time there were not weight divisions). Everybody else was at least 250lbs +. I felt lucky to be picked out of 5000 applicants anyway. I won my alternate match but never got the chance to move on because nobody in the main draw got injured.

The only thing that P-ssed me off was the head guy from SEG sports and Don Wilson had bet against me. After the fight at the dinner they smiled at me and said, “Hey you made me lose money, I bet against you”. I laughed, but inside I was saying good for you Bast-ard!

Shortly after that I was offered a fully paid ride to go to Japan and be in a training camp to fight in the Pancrase. The mans name was Takeya Oitate. I would have done it too, but I had just gotten married. Actually the UFC fight was 8 days before my wedding. Luckily I didn’t have any marks for the pictures. But still, there was no way after just getting married that I was gonna go alone to Japan. Haha, don’t turn me loose in one of those bath houses w/ all the hot women! Haha, I would’ve had a hard time staying faithful.

Then I went to the Russian Ultimate II. It was a two day tourney and I made it past the 1st round. On the second day, I lost to Richardo Morais, actually, I tapped early out of frustration. I wasn’t actually hurt, I just never trained to fight anyone as big as him before. The announcer questioned me afterward and wondered why I stopped it. The knees weren’t actually hurting me, they were hitting me on the top of the head with his meaty part of his thigh. And I could have escaped from it easily. The plain hard fact was, I didn’t have it in me to finish the fight after I was going to escape or reverse it, so I decided I wasn’t ready and just tapped.

It will always be a skeleton in the closet for me. But at least Richardo went on to win the whole thing, so for that I feel better.

It’s been almost ten years since then and I’ve matured allot. For sure I’m a much better fighter now then I was back then. But for me, the more I train, the less I have to prove. Does that sound odd?

I’m mostly a HG kung fu guy now I guess, but I use the Filippino mentality of applying it halo halo…it means “mix mix”. In other words, I might be doing kf, but I’ll do whatever it takes to win if I have to.

Last thoughts,

You have to understand that fighting in these events is a different reality.

Just thought i'd share that with everyone.So i guess there were some real TCMA fighting in the UFC after all."O" is known as a great fighter within the CMA world.Infact he was the Dai Sihing for Wing Lam's Hung Gar school.In other terms he was the fighter for the school.

jeff

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that was awesome. don't forget the rest of his training though, as he said "halo, halo" means "mix". he's been training in a filipino style for 27 years and also has grappling experience.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah don't give any credit to the Kung Fu Sevenstar.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure you give credit to it. but you can't give ALL of it to it. why? because that's not all he does. When I win in a judo tourney, I can't say "well I won because of my 4 years of longfist training, and also my shuai chiao" - that would be a lie. I won because of all of my training - it all contributed.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say all the credit I seen any credit.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I didn't say don't credit CMA. jmd ONLY stated kung fu. I'm pointing out that there was more involved than kung fu, that way everything is credited.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think he would have done just as well with out any Hung Gar training?

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity does Hung Gar emphasize to take the fight to the ground with a takedown to gain the mount position and end a fight from there.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the guy said that he DID used his Kung fu training for the stand up, he isn't saying that he won the match with Kung fu only.
He's saying that his MAIN style is Kung fu but he have trained in other things.
Is like when Vitor Belfort used his punching combos to win matches, the credit was usually going to the BJJ stable, even with the fact he won with Boxing.
In this case, He's a kung fu guy, so the win goes to Kung Fu.
Besides, none can take credit for inventing the takedown, mount, punch combo, i mean, even NON trained people do that. its the trademark of some vale tudo fighters, Yes. but they don't OWN it. lol

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, he listed two as his main styles. he said his hung gar, and he mentioned his bread and butter style, which is an FMA, and he said he has a filipino approach to his fighting.

As for belfort, he was claiming bjj as his style. O was claiming his FMA as his style.

None of it really matters though - he's a good fighter, which can't be denied.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: