Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: I am failing myself Reply with quote

This is something I’ve been well aware of the last few weeks or months even now, so not looking for reassurance. There are external factors that have helped create this situation but in the end I am responsible for my lack of exercise and training.

Anyway went to an associated dojo that also does MT, boxing, and judo for some sparring. The owner came up to me last March for some sparring.

Did 3 rounds of MT rules, 1 round semi-MMA with an older dude who was a wrestler back in the day, he wanted to work on getting to grappling range while someone was striking, and 1 round MMA.

BIGGEST lesson, I am as out of shape as i thought, but until you’re doing rounds with another person you just don’t realize what it means.

Next lesson, a lot of the stuff I’ve been reverse engineering from kata for grapplingworked pretty well, especially considering the 2 people I did the grappling work with easily had 100lbs on me.

So out of shape just before I left I went to the bathroom and threw up a little bit. Not great, but a little bit of driving and good music I feel great now. Made sure to let them know they’re all invited up to work if they’re ever in town (assuming I have no kids classes going on that time and day.)

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Training always fluctuates, and we all go through periods where we feel disappointed with our training.

Especially for an instructor, its too easy to focus on your club and students needs before your own. from the look of it your school is still pretty new? It will have taken a lot of time and effort setting that up so it would have taken focus from your personal training.

Be proud of what you have achieved in other areas and take it as a learning experience, and that this has just shown you what you need to work on...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, view it as a positive - you have now established a baseline and will only be fitter/better from now on. Gives you something to gauge progress against next time!

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy that during the grappling bits I was able to make a sequence work for breaking/loosening a clinch for shisochin kata I’d looked into.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Training always fluctuates, and we all go through periods where we feel disappointed with our training.

Especially for an instructor, its too easy to focus on your club and students needs before your own. from the look of it your school is still pretty new? It will have taken a lot of time and effort setting that up so it would have taken focus from your personal training.

Be proud of what you have achieved in other areas and take it as a learning experience, and that this has just shown you what you need to work on...
unfortunately there have been some hang ups with opening fully :/
But teaching classes to me isn’t an excuse to get out of shape, imho an instructor should be working just as hard as their students if not harder, setting the standard and example during the actual work out portion of class.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are our own worse critics, therefore, our own worst enemy. Changes occur and how we deal with those untimely changes can make all of the differences. Plateaus affect the outcomes of any goal and working through them can mean everything.

Changes need positive efforts.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad considering you completed 5 rounds with various elements included. Grappling takes a lot out of you. I saw a comment of high endurance swimmer who took up grappling, he said he has never felt that kind of exhaustion.
It's a completely different experience when you're actively engaged in sparring; the excitement of actively engaging and moving at the same time, combined with the brain acuity of millisecond changes of exchanging with your opponent, The excitement can completely exhaust you.
Due to the excitement factor, I always found sparring multiple 5 minute rounds to be more exhausting than doing a typical 1 1/2 to 2 hour karate class.

I believe that staying relaxed and breathing is essential.
The next important factor is DIET; eat well and healthily for the sport you're participating in, and you'll see fantastic results.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
Not bad considering you completed 5 rounds with various elements included. Grappling takes a lot out of you. I saw a comment of high endurance swimmer who took up grappling, he said he has never felt that kind of exhaustion.
It's a completely different experience when you're actively engaged in sparring; the excitement of actively engaging and moving at the same time, combined with the brain acuity of millisecond changes of exchanging with your opponent, The excitement can completely exhaust you.
Due to the excitement factor, I always found sparring multiple 5 minute rounds to be more exhausting than doing a typical 1 1/2 to 2 hour karate class.

I believe that staying relaxed and breathing is essential.
The next important factor is DIET; eat well and healthily for the sport you're participating in, and you'll see fantastic results.
bruh both people i grappled with were at least 300lbs, I’m 177 as of 3 days ago lol. I held one of them up off of me for like 30-40 seconds. Hoooo boi was that an effort lol

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bruh both people i grappled with were at least 300lbs, I’m 177 as of 3 days ago lol. I held one of them up off of me for like 30-40 seconds. Hoooo boi was that an effort lol

I spoke too quickly lol yes 300 lbs would be very taxing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: