Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I have been pretty frustrated with how my master fills me in about my progress or lack there of. I mean He never tells me how he thinks im doing or what im doing right and if he does tell me something its usually something little that im doing wrong its like the teeniest little things he picks on me with.

In my mind I think im doing good but im doubting it becuase my master is not filling me in. My questions are How can i make him be more open. , And Does this happen with you and for all you sensei's out their do you do this to your students?

[ This Message was edited by: Taokara on 2002-04-29 18:32 ]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differant methods of coaching.

1. you can praise a kid all the time hoping that positive words breeds good works. This is the best situation for the student but if you are never told you are doing somehting bad you are setting yourself up for a let down.

2. Focus on the slower kids and allow the other to learn. I find myslef doing this a lot becasue there are some kids I know have already picked the move up. SO i work with others more often. Thus I find the only time I really speak to the other guys is to correct a minor flaw.

3. Focus on the good studnets and forget the poor ones. Done more in sports because you got to play you best kids on game day.

4. You can always chew a person out. This makes the student feel bad however once he gets it right he is praised and that makes the work seem worth it.

There are many others methonds but these are a few. Unless he flat out tells you that you suck I would not worry about it. However some people need more support than others. As long as you feel that you are doing your best then don't worry about what others think or say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-29 18:26, Taokara wrote:
He never tells me how he thinks im doing or what im doing right and if he does tell me something its usually something little that im doing wrong

What nationality is your teacher?
Where was you teacher born and about how old is he?

Take care

[ This Message was edited by: Chris from CT on 2002-04-29 21:52 ]

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way our Master teaches, and honestly, it's the best way for me. A lot of it ties in with the KSW motto, too: "We Need More Practice".

There are always going to be little things he can correct. And every correction will move you closer to perfecting that kata or technique. The perfection of a simple technique or component of a kata leads to quicker acquisition and honing of a more complex one.

As for not providing positive feedback, the workouts themselves make me feel good. If Kwang Jang Nim is going on and on about how great my katas were, I'm not learning anything, and I'm probably standing still not working out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him about taking a private class with him to work on the finer points of what you have learned so far. Tell him that you wish to make further progress towards perfecting the movements. He will probably let you know if he thinks you need it or not...

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probabily wants you to come in and pay for private lessons would be my guess.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have two masters one is 34 and is canadian and the other is 46 and he is also canadian. And why would they want me to take private lessons? Expspecially when i THINK im doing pretty good. I mean i just want a little feedback from them.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detailed information is usually given one on one in a private session. The teacher has to deal with a lot of people at different levels in a class so he may not know that you need special attention. You need to make the effort to get that information, either pay for it or stay late... you can't just sit around and whine then say that your master is a big meany!

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying he's a meanie. Private classes would be great but it also costs more $$ which i dont have. My masters are great guys they really truly are. But they just never give you progress reports on have you compare to other students!

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you talked to him about it? Like, have you asked him to elaborate on what he is saying? He might if you just ask him to. Or is he the kind of sensei that is always like "DONT QUESTION ME!" and has a major power trip sometimes?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: