Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kohi
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: I'd like to say hi! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I just registered in this forum and, first of all, I'd like to kindly introduce myself. You can adress me as Kohi and I've been doing martial arts for a few years now. I was looking for an internet forum where to share experiences with other practitioners and have fun. Pleased to meet you all!

So, here's the deal. One of the reasons I registered was because I'm having doubts about where to take my martial arts learning from now on. You see, I started training roughly a few months before getting into college. Got into Shotokan Karate, really enjoyed it at first, though I couldn't train as much as I'd like because of all the time my studies sucked up.

If I had been born before the internet, or if I wasn't such a curious person by nature, perhaps I would have been happy just sticking with what I was doing. But that didn't happen. I like to research, to try new things and meet new people, to broaden my experience. That's why since my very first years of martial arts life I would always like to spend time browsing the internet, reading books about the matter, making friends with people who practised other styles, and just trying to get as wide and enrichening a perspective as possible. That attitude didn't fit well in my Karate Dojo, where the mentality was more of the "do as you are told" kind.

So I ended up in a kind of complicated position. You see, I really like Karate. All aspects of it. I'm not one of those guys who's only focused on self-defense as if he were planning to get into a fight as soon as he left the Dojo. I have a lot of fun performing Kata, and I am open to participating in tournaments. I just don't feel like the schools I have access to right now give me the whole experience of all that Karate can be. I mean, they spend most of the time practising the most basic of Kihon and applying it into the elemental Kumite drills. Like, you'll probably end up doing a thousand straight punches a week, some kicks, (always over the waist), and that's that. Any other kind of technique, such as circular strikes, maybe hook punches or elbows, and grappling, is little more than anecdotical. Forget about Kakie, breathing control. And, of course, you can never break away from the basic Kihon form, which means sticking to deep stances, no matter the situation.

But, unfortunately, I may not have access to any other Karate schools in the near future, at least not until I get a job and have the means to move to a bigger city (which I totally intend to do). So I have to decide whether to stick with what I have, or try something different. I do have a brown belt, and getting my 1st Dan before next summer wouldn't be out of the question. But I don't know if that would really mean anything else than just inflating my ego, to be honest. And I guess I could try my luck with a new Shotokan school when I move... or go for something completly different. I do know that, if I move to the capital, I'd have access to, at the very least, Goju Ryu (from the IOGKF, Higaonna's federation) and Uechi Ryu, and I have an interest in both styles. There are also some decent Kyokushin groups, but I don't know if that would really change much: yeah, I have no doubt Kyokushin fighters are tough, but it's as sport-centered as your average Shotokan place.

For the time being, I have set my eye on a Muay Thai school that looks really nice. I did some Muay Thai for a little while, before college completly took over my life, and I really enjoyed it. I think the guys that teach in that gym have fighters training and fighting in Thailand, which I know it's a really good staple of quality. Thai boxing, the real thing, has a great variety of striking techniques and lots of interesting stand up grappling techniques when it comes to the clinch, which would really help to enrichen my Bunkai. Also its focus on combat drills and sparring would help me improve my fighting skills, which is something I'd always benefit from. Also it is much cheaper since the school is nearer my home and I don't need to use public transport.

So, what do you think? Should I bear it with the Karate I can do right now, or should I go and do something else until I have a wider range of options? And, when that time comes, do you recommend me to change styles, or to stick with Shotokan for a little longer and see what happens? What are your experiences with different Karate styles?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Edit.: Before you ask, no, I don't have the money to train several martial arts at one time, at least not for now.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF! It's great to have you!

What you talk about is something that most of us have taken issue with one way or another. I definitely understand what you mean when you say that you feel like you're not being allowed to explore the extent of the art, and that you're not happy with the "do as I say with no questions" attitude. Questions should always be allowed.

To answer your questions:
1) How passionate are you about it? You sound very passionate, and you have at least stuck with it until Brown Belt. It sounds like you would be more happy sticking with it until you have a better option.
2) Do you want to change styles? Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu are great styles, but if you're not ready to move on from Shotokan then it won't be enough. That being said, those two are similar enough that you won't feel completely lost making the change.
3) I have a good amount of experiencing with cross training and I heavily recommend it when you are ready. What "ready" means tends to vary, but the general consensus seems to be that most people should wait after 1st dan.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF! Glad to have you here!

As for your dilemma, it sounds like it might be tough to figure out. If you are going to be moving eventually, and you don't have many other options available, sticking with what you've got might be the best bet for now. Earn your first dan, and see if anything changes for you from there. If it doesn't, then you might feel the need to move on then. But being so close to first dan, you might not forgive yourself if you don't at least follow through with that.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Kohi

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Personally, given that your current options seem to be "current dojo" and "nothing," I would stick with the current dojo until you move. When you do move, I would try out all of the schools you are interested in--do a couple classes and see what you like. You may find that you love Uechi-Ryu, or hate Goju-Ryu, or the Muay Thai school is a great fit, or you just want to go back to Shotokan, etc. You'll have to try them to figure that out
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kohi

You've gotten some great advice so far. I'd agree that maybe its worthwhile sticking at it a little longer until you get you 1st dan and then reasses from there. Is the Muay Thai school no longer an option for you?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to move this back to the Karate forum, where it was posted initially, from the Introductions forum, where it had been moved. I just wanted to explain the replies above. Thanks. Welcome Kohi!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

drk94
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome

if you're looking for a tougher karate, maybe focused more on combat i would advise you kyokushinkai, been training for 2 months now and atleast in my school there is a huge focus on sparring, combat and conditioning.
Some kumite can be really challenging, closest thing you can get to a real fight in my opinion.
Obviously i'm still a newbie so i don't pretend to know much
just giving my opinion !
Good luck brother

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome here

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: