Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: I do not understand Bruce Lee's quote Reply with quote

"Cherish the memories of your past misfortunes for they add to your bank of fortitude.(Bruce Lee)"

This doesn't make sense to me because who can love misfortune. I prefer my quote "Adversity adds to your bank of fortitude because overcoming hardship elicits wisdom.(kamahlthedruid)"

Last edited by kamahlthedruid on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a misfortune adds to your fortitude then you've learned from that mistake. We will all experience misfortunes, not all of us will learn from these experiences.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk... Even if no wisdom or overcoming was involved, memories of misfortune can still add to your fortitude. Look at the Holocaust and the strength the Jewish people gain from that memory even though we didn't overcome it by any act of wisdom or strength on our own part- other people came in and rescued what was left of us. Looking at hardships from the past can give you a different perspective on hardships in the present from which you can gain strength.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kinda like mistakes are good.

Only through erradiaction of repeated errors do we improve.

jsteczko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Mistakes are good Reply with quote

Most people are afraid of mistakes. We all have dreams and we want to make them happen. Unfortunately 90% of the population is afraid of failure. Many people want to:

1. Become an actor
2. Or a singer
3. Run their own business.
4. Start training.

But they don't do it. Their fear is telling them that they may not succeed. And so they do nothing.

If one wants to be successful, he must understand that when he makes a mistake he must learn from it. If one thing does not work, maybe something else will. Let's say you want to train martial arts. But then some questions pop up in your mind "what if I get hurt", "I don't have time", "what if my friends don't like it?" etc. And them you do not do anything. And this holds you back.

What Bruce Lee is trying to say it that you should have a goal and go for that goal. Never give up. If one thing does not work, something else will.

I read books written by motivation speakers and they always say that mistakes are a blessing. They make you learn new things. They make you mentally "sexy".

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

JAKEHE3078
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without our misfortunes, or even our fortunes, all of our good memories, and bad, this is what makes us who we are our essence is in our memories, without our memories we have no identity. It is possible to change who we are by learning from the bad, but our essence will always contain even the bad. So embrace you’re misfortunes and learn from them. If you can not learn from them at least, learn how to deal with them, our ethos is all we have.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means "cherish" in a bit of a different way. Yeah, its hard to love misfortunes, but we do learn for them, and it is important to step back after the fact, analyze why the misfortune came about, and then embrace it, and learn and grow and change.

Everyone has a different way of saying things. Some will like it, and some will not. If you like your way better, then go with it. But look at it this way; his way made you think about it.

username13768
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bruce Lee was a philosphy major in college I personally think he was making a play on a quote from Friedrich Nietzsche "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." In other words ... everyone makes mistakes but the best way to deal with it is to learn from them and move forward.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn from your mistakes so that you'll not repeat them. Cherish the things that you've learnt from your mistakes, hopefully, they've made you a better person.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS I read the quote I saw myself training and making mistakes that either embarrassed me, made me miserable or both. After ward if I put it in perspective it made me stronger. Not always better, but always stronger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: