Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shuriken_girl, How can you say that tae kwon do is useless? I'm sorry, there have been so many in-depth threads on this, are you going to say you haven't read them? Or you have never studied tae kwon do? Or you have only seen one practitioner who sucked? Because you really cracked me up....
Girls kick butt!

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, 360.

Some one that makes some sence.

DeeLovesKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, EFK, Brazillian Jujitsu, and Tae-bo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shuriken_girl wrote:
ONLY for self-defense and fun, right? Well, if you plan to actually use your techniques on other highschoolers muay thai (Thai kickboxing) might be a little severe.
Do you really want "self-defense", I mean, do you really need it? Or are you just interested in knowing how to fight?
For me it was pretty much the latter. That, and working to perfect techniques by practicing hard gives me a lot of self-satisfaction.

So:

Better for self-defense: Ju jutsu, brazilian ju jutsu, judo, aikido, a self-defense course

Better for pure fighting/kicking butt: muay thai, ninjutsu, krav maga

Good for both self-defense and also kicking butt if necessary: karate, kung-fu, tang soo doo, ju jutsu, freestyle kickboxing

Useless for real fighting: taichi, american boxing, tae kwan do, aerobic kickboxing (these are for fun, sports and fitness, mostly)

Don't take that TOO seriously, it's just a general guide and some people would disagree with some of it (like the tae kwan do part.)
But I really do think it'll help you out.

FIRST find out everything available in your area. Don't just look in one place, really look around.
Once you know your options, decide what you're looking for, what type of art you'd like to take. Do a little research.
Then check out different schools, ask the teachers questions to see if they're for real.
Pick your school, start your training and work hard.

Remember, the effort to find a good school and a good teacher is worth it! If you train under a bad teacher you'll just be wasting your time, energy and money.

Good luck! And let us know if you begin training in something.

Taichi is good if your opponent is really really slow, like, in a coma. It's a good exercise but useless in real combat.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
Thank you, 360.

Some one that makes some sence.

Yeah, no problem. I think sometimes I might have a split personality or something, on the one half there's this girl studying a kick-* self defense system (BJJ) and the other one wasting precious time and money on a totaly useless art (TKD)...
Girls kick butt!

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taichi is if people are in a coma, your ignorance even surpass's my own. The westernised idea of fast movements has obivously blinded you.

The TaiChi exercises/forms are done slowly to produce strongh legs, arms and torso etc, when practiced at full speed, the techniques are devastating. I had a play fight with a friend of mine that does Taichi, pretty nasty. But dont take my word for it ask a taichi master to spar, thats if they agree, I am sure even your ignorant mind will be impressed.

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any martial art that uses your energy against you is going to devastate you. whenever you do a movement your body is doing follow through the tai chi person well uses that follow through to his advantage. The problem kensai is that people see it as a slow martial art kensai. The one thing i hate about this board is that people are so dedicated to what they think is the right martial art. You know what if they made some movie on some kick*** taichi master i bet you anything that people here would change there mind. People have to remember that anyone can beat anyone.
i dont know rambling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, alot of these people seem to have picked up there Martial Art knowledge from films!

I find Taicchi so hard, take your basic stance and try and hold it for 10 minutes, agony!

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's one of the cool things about tai chi, that most people don't know a thing about it. I've never seen a tai chi master in action, but from what I understand it would be kind of like attacking an aikido master, you're probably not even going to be able to touch him. Each time you attack him he'll either return the energy of your attack back on you (the guy I took a few classes from often said your attacker is always the one to decide how badly he will be hurt) or give you a little assistance in flying right past him. I love karate, but I would love to study tai chi for real someday.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: