Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmitriy journeys are never straightforward there are always twists and turns, delays and fasttrack moments.

Keep your purposes and reasons to continue no matter the obsticles and obstructions, this is where, be like water comes in to play, to flow and adapt to all circumstances.

It is difficulties that makes a person stronger physically and builds character, as if everything is easy and just given, then the satisfaction of working for it is lost.

Something to keep in mind;

Stay focused, grounded and keep things in perspective as one day, you perhaps with determination, will hold a higher rank than the person that demoted you...

TheStlyer92
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Seems quite a harsh punishment for quitting for just one month. However, it's his dojo, and as CI, his decision is final. Demotions happen more often then we might ever realize, albeit, the students are responsible for their actions.

Would I have demoted you after just missing 1 month?? No, no matter what the reason(s) might be; not just for quitting, If there's something under the surface of this other than just quitting for a month, then definitely not, after all, real life does get in the way.

One of the reasons I'd demote any student is if they were gone for some quite some time. I'd expel a student if they were convicted of a crime against more turpitude, for cause.

Now, in your situation, once a Red Belt, always a Red Belt because the earned knowledge and experience of that Red Belt can't ever be taken away. The tangible belt can be taken away at the discretion of the CI, but in no time at all, the Red Belt will once again be around your waist.

In closing, if your in the MA for rank, and not for its knowledge and experience, then integrity was never an issue, nor a concern, just rank. I don't believe that this is the case, but if it is, train hard and train well to earn that which your CI demands.

In my country you can not just get demoted as all the gradings run through a federal organisation.

Once you aqquire the degree, it can not just be taken away like that.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this school is under some organisation you could always talk with them and explain your situation.

And if you have your certificate you can try to find a diffrent school that would either accept your rank or make you take few months of intense training and grade you to your rank.

Dmitriy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: I am still in that school, and I am blue belt. Reply with quote

I studied for seven years and I am still blue belt, after I got demoted from red belt 2nd degree. How is that fair?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmitriy wrote:
I studied for seven years and I am still blue belt, after I got demoted from red belt 2nd degree. How is that fair?
It's difficult to determine. All we can see is your side of the story here. It could be your instructor has his own reasons, and he feels they are justified. Or he might not have any good reasons.

It's been said that "fair" is what you pay a cab driver (I know, not the proper spelling, but you get the point). What you have to take with you is that although someone may take your rank, they cannot take your knowledge. You have to lean on that to carry forward.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Dmitriy wrote:
It's difficult to determine. All we can see is your side of the story here. It could be your instructor has his own reasons, and he feels they are justified. Or he might not have any good reasons.

It's been said that "fair" is what you pay a cab driver (I know, not the proper spelling, but you get the point). What you have to take with you is that although someone may take your rank, they cannot take your knowledge. You have to lean on that to carry forward.

Solid post!!

While it might be quite frustrating or darn right enough to making one very angry, rank isn't that important at all because it's just a tangible thing; an absolute nothing but a bobble.

Don't allow the trees to get in the way of the forest; knowledge and experience are far above that which might be wrapped around ones waist at any given time. That which is given, can, and will be taken away, but only for cause.

Train hard and train well!!

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: I am still in that school, and I am blue belt. Reply with quote

Dmitriy wrote:

Why are you still wasting your time at this school?

Rank is a construct that manipulates your ego. It's used to reward children and motivate adults who crave status. Martial arts is the only sport that does this, though there are many, from MMA to Tai Chi, that don't even use belts.

Rank just indicates you've been training x amount of time, and you've shown you can meet certain criteria (like forms or techniques) with adequate skill. Your attendance AFTER achieving that has no bearing whatsoever.

This instructor is using demoting you as punishment, to control you. It's pretty twisted. Run Away!

Dmitriy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: I got something to say. Reply with quote

my sensei has that kind of system. so basically, he doesn't want to you to miss too many classes. it's pretty strict, but I like it now. kiah! I am still in that school and kicking. going for black belt, as usual! Thanks for the support, guys.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I got something to say. Reply with quote

Dmitriy wrote:
my sensei has that kind of system. so basically, he doesn't want to you to miss too many classes. it's pretty strict, but I like it now. kiah! I am still in that school and kicking. going for black belt, as usual! Thanks for the support, guys.

Good news, Dmitriy. Train hard and train well.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Dmitriy wrote:

Good news, Dmitriy. Train hard and train well.

Agreed! Perseverance is not easily attained, nor often appreciated until much later on. Keep that in mind as you train.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: