Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kungfumaster
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Little bit of this a little bit of that mainly preying mantis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: I got horribly misjudged at a tournament -_- Reply with quote

My kungfu club got invited to a mixed martial arts competition. And it was mostly karate. Okay first of all when I went into my kungfu form i was the only one doing a kungfu patern I did it excellently i think it was my best runthrough for my form yet powerful deep stances fast intense. Everyone else did the usual karate stuff. Now at the scoring part this is where it all got screwed up i got high 7.867 scores from every judge except one wich gave me a 7 even. all the scores seemed to be in the 7's at this rank.

His reasoning you wanna know what he said to me! it loooks great but this is a karate competition not kungfu thats not right.... we were invited we wernt the only kungfu club their i know it sounds like im being a baby but i guess this is what its like at tournaments.

Now secondly sparring me and my club was doing very very well at the sparring but alot of the points that we should have gotten we diddnt because of our kungfu esque blocks they didnt know how to call it! it was claerly clean technique we got robbed

Now ok I admit i had alot of fun and learned alot but next time get some judges that know how to judge chinese paterns !

ps im not whineing and i did not forget the martial ways

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of tournaments are like that. it's just hard for some judges to be fair about other styles than what they are used to. i know it isn't fair to the people who did awesome and didn't score high. that part sucks, but the experience is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I got horribly misjudged at a tournament -_- Reply with quote

kungfumaster wrote:

ps im not whineing and i did not forget the martial ways

Could of fooled me. The purpose of the judges is to make the decisions and regulate. By going to the tournament you are recognizing that those people have been assigned those responsibilities.

I would suggest you look at your sparring and forms and see if you are really as good as you think you are.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not Mixed Martial Arts... well ok in a sense it is but not what is usually meant by MMA.

Anyway, welcome to the world of open tournaments. Thats the way it is. The goal is to convince the judges to give you the most points. Doesn't matter how many you think you got, or how many they think they got. What matters is your ability to convince the judges to give you points.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, sounds like you got shafted. Maybe you should get like a orange belt, just so you know the Basics of Karate, so you can go back next year and make them eat it. Or, just stick to Kung Fu events. That just isn't right. I guess it would have been best for you to learn a little about Japanese Arts, but still, if they invite Chinese Artist to the event, they should shown some courtesy!

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. When I did TSD and attended tournies, there were kungfu guys competing. A few of them actually got first place. And this wasn't a kungfu tourny. It was mostly Tang Soo Do (but it was an open tourny). It sounds like you got stiffed

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we don't do tournaments and we discourage our students from doing them. One event like this can ruin a young kids self esteem and all he has worked for. If a judge doesn't like your haircut your out. The rules often favor a certain style or even to that point certain groups and if you don't have the rules in advance you can't train appropriately.

Last edited by pvwingchun on Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let things like this get you down, "you gotta live and learn" as they say. In this case I suppose that the lesson would be that judges aren't really bestowed with demi-god like powers of judgement.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that your form wasn't as great as you thought... at least not in the judges eyes. My old longfist school cleans up at karate tourneys - in both forms and point sparring.

kungfumaster
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Little bit of this a little bit of that mainly preying mantis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the thing is we usually do clean up the karateka at the tournies but this yearthe judging was exponetionally diffrent
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: