Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Stan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: I have the choice between Wado-ryu and Shorin-Ryu Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

I'm 18 and I've been considering starting karate in september.

There are two very good places where I could learn this martial art, one is Wado-Ryu ( and I believe also Shotokan and Shito-Ryu, is it possible ? ), and the other one is Shorin-Ryu ( it's called Oshukaï ).

Here is why I want to practice karate :
- stay in shape
- history behind karate, culture
- katas
- learn to be more patient
- learn to fight of course !

I'm not interested in competitions.
I have practiced Krav Maga last year but didn't like it, I really don't like boxing and violence, getting punched in the face every 2 minutes is something I'd like to avoid.
Not that I wouldn't do kumite but it's softer right ?

So, what do you think may be a better choice for me ?

Thanks a lot !

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I have the choice between Wado-ryu and Shorin-Ryu Reply with quote

Stan wrote:
Hi everyone !

I'm 18 and I've been considering starting karate in september.

There are two very good places where I could learn this martial art, one is Wado-Ryu ( and I believe also Shotokan and Shito-Ryu, is it possible ? ), and the other one is Shorin-Ryu ( it's called Oshukaï ).

Here is why I want to practice karate :
- stay in shape
- history behind karate, culture
- katas
- learn to be more patient
- learn to fight of course !

I'm not interested in competitions.
I have practiced Krav Maga last year but didn't like it, I really don't like boxing and violence, getting punched in the face every 2 minutes is something I'd like to avoid.
Not that I wouldn't do kumite but it's softer right ?

So, what do you think may be a better choice for me ?

Thanks a lot !

If those are good schools then either one of them should fulfill that list of things you want out of karate. As far as kumite being softer, that's hard to say--if they only do point sparring then yes, but some karate schools do have hard contact or full contact sparring. You really need to visit both school and watch a class or two and participate in a trial class or two before you make your decision. You, personally, will need to make the determination of whether the instructor and the training methods at each school work well with you.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, i'm going to say right now. Shorin-Ryu is something you should strongly look into. I came from doign Mixed Martial Arts, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc and now i'm 100% devoted to the history and practice of Shorin-Ryu Karate. Very effective, and even street effective. the techniques they teach can easily hospitalize your opponent/attacker. however, it takes patience to be that skilled in Shorin-Ryu. i'm only an orange belt, probably getting my next belt in about a month or two. However, Shorin-Ryu and Shotokan are very similar, the only difference is that Shotokan is more for sport fighting, not self defense. Of course, you can still use it to defend yourself.

now here's what you really should do. As the first comment said, check out teh schools before making a decision. look for how professional they are, examine the atmosphere and the students around you. the Sensei should explain a lot of things throughout the class. The Martial Art is of course important, but who your teacher is, is far more important. just see how official and legit both places are.

Stan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers ! I'll check out the schools next week or the week after.
If anyone wants to add something, it'd be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: