Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
I was reading a blog a while back by a police officer who also ran a jujitsu dojo. He investigated sex crimes.

He wrote that every Friday and Saturday night, before his teenage daughter goes out, she has to escape his mount and apply either a joint lock or choke that he can't get out of. She isn't allowed to leave until she does it. His pre-teen daughter has to escape a wrist grab before she's allowed to leave without a parent.

He wrote that his non-police friends and family make fun of him for it. His response - if they saw what I see on a regular basis, they'd do the same.

Makes you think. If I can find the blog, I'll post a link.

This is awesome!

YES...it is awesome!

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
I was reading a blog a while back by a police officer who also ran a jujitsu dojo. He investigated sex crimes.

He wrote that every Friday and Saturday night, before his teenage daughter goes out, she has to escape his mount and apply either a joint lock or choke that he can't get out of. She isn't allowed to leave until she does it. His pre-teen daughter has to escape a wrist grab before she's allowed to leave without a parent.

He wrote that his non-police friends and family make fun of him for it. His response - if they saw what I see on a regular basis, they'd do the same.

Makes you think. If I can find the blog, I'll post a link.

This is awesome!

YES...it is awesome!

Love this idea. May have to do on my daughter.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good and worthwhile topic to continue to build upon. What I believe strongly that women should learn how to become escape martial artists. Also to be more aware of the situation and or location they are in. Women have most times the element of surprise on there side. Which is a ticket to get out of a bad situation fast. A note SD targets are places or areas that are not able to be toughened up with weights or exercises such as eyes, ears, toes and so on. Ordinary everyday objects are very effective as a weapon. A pen or pin can be a surprise weapon if need be. Being creative with SD can be used depending on things at hand. How many fight have been won by using a simple rock or stick. I have participated in SD classes for woman and honestly I don't agree with the instructions given. The reason I don't agree is that classroom situations are nothing like the real thing and instructors may have never been in a real fight. As I've been in many real fights I know from experience what to expect. These SD classes for woman should be offered in the school system. Why wait till being an adult to learn these things. Smaller men should also be included in this topic.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
This is a very good and worthwhile topic to continue to build upon. What I believe strongly that women should learn how to become escape martial artists. Also to be more aware of the situation and or location they are in. Women have most times the element of surprise on there side. Which is a ticket to get out of a bad situation fast. A note SD targets are places or areas that are not able to be toughened up with weights or exercises such as eyes, ears, toes and so on. Ordinary everyday objects are very effective as a weapon. A pen or pin can be a surprise weapon if need be. Being creative with SD can be used depending on things at hand. How many fight have been won by using a simple rock or stick. I have participated in SD classes for woman and honestly I don't agree with the instructions given. The reason I don't agree is that classroom situations are nothing like the real thing and instructors may have never been in a real fight. As I've been in many real fights I know from experience what to expect. These SD classes for woman should be offered in the school system. Why wait till being an adult to learn these things. Smaller men should also be included in this topic.

I agree these are excellent points you make. You also stated smaller men should be included, I always say my aim is to teach a smaller/weaker person these things. Some of what I try and get across can also work for children. Thanks for the solid post though!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the person you are teaching self defense, (man or woman) doesn't have the right attitude or aptitude, it doesn't matter what technique you show or practice with them. They need to tap in to their own self preservation or the protective part of their nature first.
A woman will run in to a burning building to save a child. This is the self sacrificing aspect I'm trying to convey.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mindset is the hardest thing to teach, and it is so much a part of person's attitude and demeanor, too. Its one of the biggest challenges I teaching self-defense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: