Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Scottster
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Delima Reply with quote

I know I am late to this post. I just happen to see it when I googled torasamado. I happened to train under Bill Klase - the style founder. Then the style was called "The way of the Tiger". Even though we had an approximate time that you would expect to test, the testing was scheduled only after it was determined you were ready based on class performance. I would stick with that rule and it should be unlikely that you will need to fail anyone.

Scottster

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simple!

If the student doesn't meet the requirements for promotions, then its your obligation to fail the student. Never lie to a student. Never build up a false sense of security. Never allow the student to think they can when they really can't. If you lie and pass the student who hasn't meet the requirements...how can you sleep at night? How can you call yourself a Martial Artist? How can you look at yourself in the mirror? If you're afraid to fail your students then you've already failed them...as well as yourself! If you're afraid to fail a student...then close your dojo down!

I've only one word...INTEGRITY!!!

NievesOSK
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Oshirokan Karate-Jutsu / Goshin Budo Bujutsu / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Warlock wrote:
Good post Michigan. Another route could be that you simply remove any testing deadlines or expectations. I.e., once you are satisfied with the level of skill a student has obtained, you perform your tests in a subtle fashion, through a series of 'subtests' strewn about your regular training day. Then, you contact their parents (assuming they are minors) and have the belt ceremony at the end of the next class meeting.

Hello everyone. New to the forum so forgive for jumping in right here. The above is a great suggestion. I am responding here as we had a test this past weekend and I feel I can relate here. Of all of our students that tested there were two that I would not have advanced to their next level. Of course, not being the head instructor, I didn't really chime in. On the panel sat my Soke Dai and instructor, a Kajukembo stylist , two 3rd Dan TKD stylists and our Kobujutsu resident expert and 2nd to Master Chase (7th Dan). Note we have guest instructors panel our tests from other schools to avoid bias. My master instructor has final say on all promotions.

Since I am only a 4th dan (just promoted this past Saturday), I didn't feel as if I had a say in the promotions. Having just started my own club and a number of these students being my highest promoted students at this time, I didn't know if I could overrule the panel or at least state my objections. Looking back, I realized I did. One of the students was in my club and after seeing the student's performance she definitely should have been held back. The other I have taught when helping my instructor and know his level of technique. I could have at least stated my opinion. My instructor has always listened to my advice and we found a middle ground in many decisions made. He really is a good man. I guess experience was a factor here?

After chewing on it a bit, I told my instructor that I felt it would be best if all of these students were brought back in December for a "belt check/test". He agreed. Although they will not be eligible for a belt change (we only have four color belts: white, green, brown, and black and only hold testing twice a year for eligible candidates), we can reevaluate them as a group for their next kyu level (6th to 5th). He agreed and I was satisfied that we will again put these students through a testing and you can bet I will be more inclined to hold someone back for poor performance.

We are NOT a "black belt school". The goals in our training are two fold: develop the individual and spirit, and train quality martial artists.

Maintain the standard and do not let outside forces question your integrity.

Osu.

E. Samuel Nieves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: