Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, i want the truth, i want the raw scientific fact, AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

Oh, i'm sorry, i forgot to ask the question.

I've heard that weights burns more fat that running, and i've heard that running only works cardio and leg muscles and doesn't burn as much fat as weights do. I've heard that running is good but doesn't sculpt your body.

I wanna concentrate on what running does.
Q:
Does running burn as much fat as weights and crunches?

I know all the other stuff it does, but there are so many conflicting opinions on this subject i have nowhere else to turn.

Please, i want FACTS, not opinions...
Angus

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/2894/

Go to that link there is lots of explained there.

I think you need both - Muscles create a certain hormone which help use energy instead of store it or something, very complicated but the 'straight damn truth' on that sight, I suggest you read as much as you can it is fascinating reading and should answer your question.

(Thx to Kickchick for the URL)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more muscle you have, the more mitochondria(in muscle) you have to burn fat--you will also secrete more testosterone and growth hormone--important for "youth" and fitness. On the other hand, higher fat levels are correlated with lower levels of testosterone

Aren't I a clever boy? Well... actually no I got it off the site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it increases the amount of muscle fibres, which affects the number of mitrocondrian (i forget the spelling). You have to remember that the weight training will increase the number of microfibrus strands, but the running and will cause the muscles to work and thus the mitros.

The Weight lifting will build up the number of mirtocondria, and the running will make them work and burn the fat. I prefer the running, as it also excersises the cardio vascular system, and if you wanna loost weight the chances are that you could have build up in your arteries (leading to miocardial infarction, the most common cause of heart attacks).

Lay off the McDonnalds, ok?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, don't like McDonald's too much... i think i'l have to lay off the liquid silk... otherwise known as beer.

I'm just annoyed cos i'm training for my first amateur fight now and u don't see to many of them with the little beer guts and stuff...

thanx guys.
Angus

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angus!
Unfortunately, we are not all scientists here...
Now as for the gut ... I, too, believe it or not love beer ....unfortunately all the crunches that I have done for the entire week will be useless! You see the ONLY WAY to lose the belly (adipose tissue) or beely fat is through weight control. (I hate the word diet! It has been said here before that there is no such thing as spot reduction.
In addition, it helps to remember good posture—stand up straight! Pull those abdominal muscles in tight, all throughout the day! This will help to strengthen your core.

Sure, do toning exercises for the abdominal muscles and the back muscles, as well as for ALL of your muscle groups, but remember, to lose the belly, the "gut," you must control your weight! Lay off the beer and switch to a good Merlot!! Wine is better is simply just goes to the head...and not right to the belly.

...on my way to a kegger for Labor Day...

Deby

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...it's so disgusting how much fat and carbs are in alcohol...why don't they do diet drinks??? Hmph.

Anyway...the secret is dancing. I go out every weekend, drink loads and loads but dance it all off.

97 minutes of jogging to burn off a Bic Mac? Ugh, no thanks.

Have a drink for me KickChick.

Off to check out the link...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...actually had a very good Australian wine last night!

Deby

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some studies done that have shown that there are health benefits from drinking small amounts of alcohol, particularly red wine. However, drinking excessively will definitely interfere with your muscular gains, decrease your energy and contribute to fat storage.

The primary problem with all alcohol, regardless of what form it's in - wine, beer, or liquor - is that the calories add up so quickly. At seven calories per gram, alcohol is the second most calorically dense nutrient behind fat, which contains nine calories per gram. When you're trying to lose body fat, all those extra calories certainly don't help with your fitness goals. Alcohol suppresses the body's ability to burn fat. When your liver is metabolizing alcohol, fat burning in the body stops altogether!

I just read a few interesting things today about drinking. It dehydrates you, it interferes with the absorption of many nutrients and excessive consumption has been linked to health problems such as liver disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, cardio, abnormal heart rhythms, cancer, decreased resistance to infections, gout and hypoglycemia.

The key in developing a successful nutrition plan for yourself is to find a happy medium that you can live with. You'll have to make some sacrifices to develop a great body, but on the other hand, you shouldn't deprive yourself completely either. Let's face it, eating and drinking are just two of life's greatest pleasures. If you try to be too strict by completely abstaining from alcohol, that might not be realistic. It depends on what your goals are and on how serious you are about achieving them. Most people just want to be fit and lean, not necessarily huge and "ripped" like a bodybuilder. If that's the case, then a drink or two won't slow your progress much. However, if you are serious about getting maximum results in the minimum amount of time, then I would suggest to you not to drink at all.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We kinda got away from your original question Angus... which was???

Quote:
I've heard that weights burns more fat that running, and i've heard that running only works cardio and leg muscles and doesn't burn as much fat as weights do. I've heard that running is good but doesn't sculpt your body.

I wanna concentrate on what running does.
Q:
Does running burn as much fat as weights and crunches?

When fat is oxidized for energy, you will draw it from all areas of the body, and the first place you tend to put it on will be the last place it comes off. Everyone has certain "stubborn" areas where it seems "hard to get rid of" but the fat WILL go, it will just be the last place to go. The best way to burn fat off your abs is not to do more ab work, but to do more cardio: bike, Stairmaster, treadmill, elliptical machine or rower, cardio kickboxing - they're all great fat burners.

Work at about 70-85% of your age-predicted maximal heart rate (220-your age) and maintain it for 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week for optimal results. Train your abs about twice a week, just as you would any other body part. Doing your abs every day will do almost nothing to remove the layer of fat covering the muscles. In fact, it is possible to have a great set of abs that you can't even see because they are covered up with a layer of fat!
If you're drinking beer and eating pizza, it doesn't matter what you do in the gym, you'll never have a great set of abs.

If you're drinking beer and eating pizza, it doesn't matter what you do in the gym, you'll never have a great set of abs. If you're drinking beer and eating pizza, it doesn't matter what you do in the gym, you'll never have a great set of abs.

From a body-building, body-sculpting, fat-burning point of view, weight bearing types of exercise such as running, power walking, jogging, cycling, stairclimber or elliptical machines are best for you!

....hope these 'facts' help ya out!!

Deby
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: