Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khvnbv

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Last edited by Ben Martin on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished my A-levels (dunno what you call them in the states), and i've decided to take a gap year. All my friends have gone off to university to get drunk everynight and have casual sex, and what else? oh yeah study. Anyway, i've just got a temporary job working in a soap factory! Its hard work (not used to that you see!) but it pays quite well. I'm gonna work for about 8 weeks, and then ship off to the land of smiles at the end of Novemeber. I wont be doing any muay thai training becuase i'm going with a friend who doesnt do martial arts or know anything about them and also becuase its a purely backpacking/partying/sightseeing trip. Just to make you all jealous i'll tell you my itinerary:

4 days in bangkok, i'll go see a few temples, the royal palace, hit the bars, and try to get over the culture shock. I'll also go see a authentic muay thai bout. Their on every saturday, I hear the lower weight divisions are the best to watch in thailand.

Train journey to chiang mai (very long journey, over 12 hours!). I'll stay in chiang mai for a week chilling out, visit a few temples, check out the night bazzar, maybe go on a trek or somthing.

Take a train to Kanachaburi and go see the Bridge over the River Kwai and the mass war graves, and pay my respects to the tens of thousands of British, American and Australian soldiers who died building the railway. I'll spend another week here visiting the waterfalls and mountains.

Train journey down to Phuket, spend an expensive week here partying hard and lazing on the beaches.

Train journey down to Krabi and spend 3 weeks here island hopping, lying on the beaches sipping pina coladas. I'll visit Koh phi phi and go to the beach where they filmed "The Beach" and "The man with the golden gun" james bond film. Apparently there are many seculed beaches to found on the islands around Krabi, so i'm gonna rent out a longtail boat and go find them!

Yep, should be good.

Oh and to anyone who wants to go training in thailand or backpacking for a few months, I say just do it. Seriously, get some money together (my entire 7 week holiday is costing £1200. that includes flight, accom, everything) and just do it. You can get by comfortably on £15($25) a day, again that includes everything. Say you wanna spend 2 weeks there, it'll cost you £210 ($357) plus the flight (mines £450, but it all depends on where you are in the world) and thats it, every extra week is another £105($175).
I reakon i'll go back later next year to train, but i'm thinking of taking kung fu lessons in china also, not sure yet. Gotta make the most of my gap year what ever happens.

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbgv

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Last edited by Ben Martin on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, i have been saveing for thailand sence my softmore year in high school to spend as long as possible training. pluse i want to be able to spend at least a week in a temple. no to mention i hurd they have really pretty girls in thailand.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and dont go to china for kung-fu i had a friend who did that and he was very disapointed, go to taiwan instead.

Thubs
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo and Grapling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went shortly after I left school for 4 months, one of the best choices I ever made was to go there, I trained and took part in alot of things, I advice you to go watch some Muay Thai matches aswell, very very good to watch.

Mischievousjoe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD, Goshin Jutsu, Boxing, a bit of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome guys! Me and the girlfriend have been planning to go to thailand for a couple months this summer as well. staying in phucket and training for at least a month somewhere or other. seems to be a popular thing to do on this board

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wont be doing any training when i'm there, i'll go watch a muay thai bout though, cant wait. Anyway i'm going in 8 days and i'll be there for 7 weeks, cant wait! I'll probably spend about a week at most in phuket, its very commericalised and expensive and the beaches are pretty crowded, not much of a backpackers spot, more like Rio or Miami. Anyway wish me luck!

p.s Lets just hope I dont get bird flu/tsunami/terrorattack/other!!

Smurf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Thai Kik Jitsu, Wada Ryu Karate, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys

loved reading all your comments about thailand. I went when I finished uni and had a magic time over there. I'm saving again now to go and I can honestly say it's one of the most treasured memories I have of martial arts. I was also a kickboxer predominantly with a black belt in Karate also but the muay thai blended really well with my training.

If you go to a good camp with a lot of trainers then you will get good 1-2-1 attention and will learn so much from it all.

the camp I went to is on http://www.martialartsphuket.com

Please have a look and I hope you enjoy it there.

All the best

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to thailand and your into the martial arts especially kickboxing then its a must to atleast fit in some training, any is better than none. I'm going for my first time this Aprill (2006) I will be in country for 17 days training at rawai muay thai camp. I'm going with 2 fellow martial artists so it should be nice. We do plan on taking the weekends off from training and going out to do the tourist thing, that still gives us 9 training sessions a week, so 18, 2-3hr training sessions in two weeks and we get Friday evening thru Sunday off to go do the tourist thing.
Of course I main objective in our trip is the training but we are still going to fit tourist activities in, so someone going backbacking etc. should have not trouble fitting in a few training sessions.

Ben, we are training at the same camp you are we arrive in Mid April so we'll see you there!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: